Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 20/08/2016

20 August 2016

Report: Blackpool 0 Wycombe 0

Blackpool were only able to hold Wycombe Wanderers to a stalemate despite a flurry of late chances at Bloomfield Road.

Mark Cullen and Jim McAlister both went close for the home side, who struggled to get going in difficult conditions.

Michael Harriman struck the woodwork for Wycombe, who returned home with a point for their efforts.

The visitors enjoyed the better of the possession in the early stages of the game, although it took ten minutes for the first real effort towards the Blackpool goal. Midfielder Danny Rowe caught a sweet volley on the edge of the box, but watched it sail over the bar.

The Chairboys continued to dominate the opening stages of the game and their man mountain striker Adebayo Akinfenwa was linking up well with the veteran Marcus Bean, but the midfielder was muscled off the ball just in time by Danny Pugh as the ball was cleared to safety.

Just past the twenty minute mark the game had its first shot on target. Wycombe left-back Joe Jacobson found space in The Seasiders’ box but Sam Slocombe was down with ease to save his strike.

Minutes later Blackpool were under more pressure. Harriman’s speculative effort from 25-yards out looped over the helpless Slocombe and struck the underside of the crossbar, only again to be cleared to safety.

Ten minutes before the break Blackpool finally kicked into gear. First, Bright Osayi-Samuel’s sharp play saw a right-footed effort blocked. Then, Mark Cullen seized the opportunity to run at goal after an error from Anthony Stewart. Cullen’s left footed cross was met by the on-rushing Brad Potts, who headed wide with the game’s best chance thus far.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 - 0 Wycombe Wanderers

Blackpool started the second half much brighter than they did the first, however, again it was Wycombe who mustered the first effort on goal. As expected, Akinfenwa’s strength was a concern throughout for the Pool defence and he managed to brilliantly hold off Tom Aldred but a wild effort failed to trouble Slocombe.

Potts was also the man on the spot for Gary Bowyer’s men, with Blackpool’s second big chance of the game. A low, well-worked set-piece from skipper Pugh seemed to pop up nicely for Potts in the area but his right-footed half-volley could only find the stands.

Soon after new signing Armand Gnanduillet was introduced to Bloomfield Road for the first time, coming on for Osayi-Samuel and was instantly looking to make an impact. A bright, early run was followed by a shot on target and was unfortunate not to meet a cross from Colin Daniel, only an interception preventing a dream debut.

Blackpool had their tails up and were looking to finish the game with a flurry and hoping to steal all three points in this hard-fought battle.

Three quick chances came for Potts, Cullen and McAlister, respectively, who all saw fierce efforts on goal smartly saved by Chelsea loanee Jamal Blackman in the Wycombe goal.

Blackpool huffed and puffed late into injury time, with both Cullen and Gnanduillet seeing shots blocked on the edge of the Wycombe area and Kelvin Mellor hitting wide following a set-piece.

Despite plenty of effort, neither side were able to break the deadlock in a tough, physical tie between the two clubs. 

Full-Time: Blackpool 0-0 Wycombe Wanderers

By Peter McCarthy

Advertisement block