Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 31/12/2016

31 December 2016

Report: Grimsby 0 Blackpool 0

Blackpool were forced to sign off from 2016 with just a point, as they were held to a goalless draw by stubborn Grimsby Town on New Year’s Eve. 

Gary Bowyer’s men looked the side most likely to claim all three points at Blundell Park, with Kyle Vassell and Mark Cullen both coming close.

The Seasiders threw everything in looking for a winner but returned home with a point, making it four from two festive trips to the east coast.

While competitive, the opening 19 minutes brought nothing to report at Blundell Park, that was until a quick counter attacked showed what Blackpool are about. The Seasiders broke through Brad Potts, who fed Vassell to be brilliantly denied by Dean Henderson.

Grimsby’s first attempt came through Luke Summerfield, who benefited from a ricochet into his path, before shooting at Sam Slocombe from the edge of the box. Soon after a clever free-kick from Danny Andrew almost caught out the goalkeeper, but bent just over the bar.

The hosts were improving as the half wore on and a smart turn from danger man Omar Bogle fashioned another opening, but Slocombe was equal to his attempt. As for Pool, a speculative effort from Potts forced a comfortable take from Henderson.

Big calls for a penalty on Bright Osayi-Samuel were ignored by the referee, despite Henderson appearing to take out the winger. Two minutes before the break Andrew flashed a shot wide for the hosts as the two sides went in for half-time on level terms.

Half-Time: Grimsby 0 Blackpool 0

After the break Blackpool improved and Osayi-Samuel shot at Henderson straight after the restart. Vassell was the next player to be denied by the goalkeeper, who flew across his goal brilliantly to save from the striker.

Town’s first shot in anger of the second-half came through Dominic Vose, who fired wide of the mark. 58 minutes in Pool came even closer, as Kelvin Mellor’s devilish delivery was glanced wide by Cullen.

It was Blackpool asking the questions as the half wore on, with Osayi-Samuel and Payne both out of luck with their efforts. Then, when Cullen broke free of the defence, he lost composure and blazed over the bar.

The striker was getting chances but couldn’t do much when heading wide Vassell’s cross on the stretch. Nine mintues before time Michael Cain and Danny Philliskirk replaced Jack Payne and Osayi-Samuel, before Jamille Matt followed for Cullen moments later.

In injury time Danny Collins slipped an effort wide for the hosts as the two sides were forced to settle for a point.

Full-Time: Grimsby 0 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block