Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 16/02/2016

16 February 2016

Report: Blackpool 0 Oldham 0

Blackpool and Oldham Athletic played out a forgettable goalless draw at Bloomfield Road, as both sides failed to force a winner at a bitterly cold Bloomfield Road.

While the commitment couldn’t be questioned, the hosts failed to truly test Oldham stopper Joel Coleman, as Jim McAlister and Martin Paterson passed up opportunities.

The Latics looked a threat on the break but didn’t do enough to earn all three points, as Dean Lyness dealt with everything asked of him. 

On a bitterly cold evening, Blackpool did their best to warm up the home support early on and when Mark Cullen and Danny Philliskirk combined, McAlister’s precise header was turned onto the post by Danny Lafferty in bizarre fashion. 

The Scot turned provider on 12 minutes, as his corner found Will Aimson, but the defender could only hook narrowly wide with his back to goal. Next it was Mark Cullen with a sighting of goal, but the striker rushed his effort which dragged well wide of the mark.

Oldham’s first real effort came through the pacey Jonathan Forte, who’d raced away from Hayden White before firing wide. Cameron Dummingan soon followed however, blasting over under pressure from Brad Potts.

Although nothing in the way of goals, but the half-chances continued to come, with Murphy’s shot falling into the arms of Lyness. The goalkeeper then denied Carl Winchester with two hands, as the two sides went in level. 

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Oldham 0

Roared on by the away end, Oldham started the second-half with the bit between their teeth and Murphy was inches away from turning home Matt Palmer’s delicious cross. 

Pool’s first chance of the half came inevitably from a McAlister cross, but unlike on Saturday, Tom Aldred was off target with his effort. The lack of clear-cut chances persuaded Neil McDonald to change his forward line, with Paterson replacing Cullen. 

However, it was still Oldham going in search of the win and they squandered a fine opening on 73 minutes. Lafferty ploughed forward down the left and his rifled effort was turned into the path of Curtis Main by Lyness, but the striker headed over with the goal gaping. 

At the other end Paterson had a wicked effort turned over by the Oldham defence. The striker was looking a threat for The Seasiders and headed a Potts cross into the arms of Joel Coleman. John Herron was then brought on for Pool in place of David Norris. 

Blackpool were continuing to be frustrated by their visitors, as Potts lashed a free-kick wide. The midfielder was given his second opening in as many minutes, as Redshaw’s shot diverted into his path, but again Potts headed off target.

The final change for the home side saw Uche Ikpeazu take to the field in place of Redshaw. Late chances came and went for Blackpool as Paterson’s lob dropped wide and an Oldham defender headed wide of his own post. 

Full-Time: Blackpool 0 Oldham 0

Advertisement block