Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 30/01/2016

30 January 2016

Report: Blackpool 1 Gillingham 0

Blackpool ground out three vital points against promotion-chasing Gillingham to move further clear of the bottom four. 

Jack Redshaw was the man responsible for securing the points, converting a penalty in first-half injury time. 

The Seasiders were good value for the three points against League One’s top scorers, who were left frustrated on a blustery afternoon on the coast.

They only had themselves to blame however, after Max Ehmer tripped Mark Yeates inside the box and Redshaw claimed his sixth goal of the season to win it.

Despite atrocious conditions, consisting of hail stones and a swirling wind, Blackpool carved open the first chance, but Redshaw will have been disappointed to drag his effort off target. 

Gillingham, second in League One, were enjoying the lion’s share of possession and both Luke Norris and Doug Loft had strikes deflected behind for corners. 

In truth, it was an uninspiring opening 30 minutes and Norris’ fizzed free-kick did little to increase the excitement, as it flew over the bar. 

As half-time approached Stuart Nelson was called into action, beating away a Yeates free-kick. The next decisive moment brought about the opening goal.

Quick feet from Yeates invited a trip from Ehmer, which gave the referee no option but to point to the spot. Redshaw, with his fourth penalty of the season, made no mistake from the spot, firing low beyond Nelson’s right hand.

Half-Time: Blackpool 1 Gillingham 0

After the break Pool came out like a house on fire and should have instantly extended their lead. First, strong penalty appeals were turned down, as Nelson appeared to take the legs of Danny Philliskirk.

Then Pool only had themselves to blame with the next opening. A corner from Yeates caused carnage and Mark Cullen somehow prodded wide from a matter of yards out. 

Brad Potts was next to come close with a free-kick, while Tom Aldred was on hand to ensure Pool weren’t instantly punished by clearing Ehmer’s shot off the line.

The second-half was the polar opposite to the first, full of chances, and Redshaw squandered the next one, volleying Cullen’s cross wide of the mark after great work from his strike partner. 

Just after the hour-mark Neil McDonald opted to shore things up and replaced Redshaw with Clark Robertson.

The Gills had one of League One’s hottest properties Bradley Dack in their side and he had a free-kick deflected wide, before Uche Ikpeazu replaced Cullen for the hosts. 

Another substitute Brennan Dickenson then flashed a shot wide as Gillingham aimed to draw level and keep in touch with Burton Albion at the top of the league. 

While Gillingham now had the upper hand, Pool still looked a threat on the break through Potts and Philliskirk shot wide from range. 

Blackpool were forced to hold firm late on but saw out the victory comfortably in the end. 

Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Gillingham 0

Advertisement block