Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Blackpool 1 Bury 1

30 July 2016

Potts Strikes Late For Pool

Brad Potts scored a minute from time to ensure Blackpool ended pre-season unbeaten after a 1-1 draw with League One Bury.

The midfielder ran onto a brilliant through ball from youngster Rowan Roache and showed calmness to finish beyond Ben Williams.

The Seasiders had fallen behind minutes after the break when Kelvin Etuhu punished Tom Aldred for a defensive slip by firing The Shakers ahead.

However, Potts ensured Gary Bowyer’s men were rewarded for another positive showing ahead of the big kick-off next week. 

Blackpool started on the front foot and Jim McAlister tested Williams early on, before Mark Yeates, who was operating behind the striker, shot at the goalkeeper.

Bright Osayi-Samuel was catching the eye wide left and after beating his man he set up Kelvin Mellor, but the right-back’s effort was wayward. 

As for Bury, Tom Pope had their first opening half-an-hour in but after taking a long ball on his chest, the striker volleyed well wide.

The returning Jacob Mellis was next to threaten as Bury enjoyed a period of possession, but again his effort was off target. 

On the stroke of half-time the visitors came within inches of taking the lead but Etuhu’s drive crashed off the inside of the post and away to safety from a Blackpool perspective.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Bury 0

It was an individual error which led to the opening goal quickly after the interval, as Aldred was caught in possession by Etuhu, who ran through and slotted beyond Sam Slocombe. 

Blackpool didn’t let their heads drop however and Yeates’ deflected free-kick fizzed narrowly wide before Osayi-Samuel shot at Williams.

The winger was causing Bury all sorts of problems and after exchanging passes with Kyle Vassell raced clear only to shoot wide.

Bowyer then proceeded to make a handful of changes, with Clark Robertson and John Herron taking the field, before Henry Cameron made his long-awaited return from injury. 

A quickly taken free-kick saw Vassell volley over, before Macauley Wilson, Roache and Mark Cullen took to the field. 

The Seasiders continued to probe and were finally rewarded when Roache slipped in Potts, who fired beyond Williams for 1-1. 

Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Bury 1

Advertisement block