Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 01/03/2016

1 March 2016

Report: Chesterfield 1 Blackpool 1

Blackpool were forced to settle for a point despite putting in an impressive performance against relegation-rivals Chesterfield at the Proact Stadium.

Brad Potts’ sixth goal of the season had put The Seasiders in front, but an unbelievable strike from substitute Jay O’Shea earned the hosts a share of the spoils. 

Neil McDonald’s men had put in their best performance for some time and hit the woodwork three times during a fine opening period. 

The draw wasn’t enough to prevent Blackpool falling into the relegation zone however, and a red card to captain David Ferguson further soured their evening late on. 

The first action of note came from patient build-up play by the visitors, and saw Potts sting the palms of Tommy Lee, before Uche Ikpeazu glanced wide after Hayden White had returned the ball with interest. 

It was the big striker giving the home side something to worry about but he couldn’t quite get his connection right when trying to divert Jack Redshaw’s cross goalwards. 

The closest Chesterfield came to opening the scoring in the first 15 minutes came through Blackpool, as Tom Aldred’s sliced clearance bounced inches wide of the post. They were getting closer however, and Gboly Ariyibi’s whipped effort clipped the outside of the paintwork. 

However, the end to end nature continued and Pool struck the woodwork themselves moments later. After Ikpeazu had bustled his way through he set up Potts, who’s thunderous effort came off the inside of the post. 

All Blackpool’s good work was coming through the Watford loanee and he was unlucky when his fantastic turn wasn’t rewarded with a goal, as Lee gathered his effort. 

Unbelievably, on the stroke of half-time, Blackpool struck the woodwork twice more. First, Aldred’s header from Jim McAlister’s corner cannoned off the bar, before David Norris watched his own header come off the inside of the post. 

Half-Time: Chesterfield 0 Blackpool 0

After the break the home side were much improved, but Pool successfully weathered the storm and lady luck finally showed up. Picking up on a loose ball, Potts drove forward and tried his luck from range, and his effort took a large deflection on its way into the net. 

However, The Spireites instantly got themselves back on level terms. Substitute O’Shea gave Doyle absolutely no chance with a brilliant strike into the top corner to equalise. Pool then lost White to injury, with Emmerson Boyce coming on. 

The game could literally go either way by this point and when Redshaw set up Potts, his drilled effort flew wide of the mark. Although Chesterfield were dominating possession, Danny Philliskirk did feed Ikpeazu who couldn’t get his effort on target when bearing down on goal.

Five minutes from time it was Redshaw next frustrated, as he cut onto his right foot and fired down the throat of Lee. The striker came to life in the closing stages and had another shot turned behind by the goalkeeper. 

However, there’d be more bad news for Pool soon after, as Ferguson picked up his second booking for hauling down his man. For the dying moments John Herron replaced Redshaw, as Pool held on for a point. 

Full-Time: Chesterfield 1 Blackpool 1

Advertisement block