Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 25/03/2016

25 March 2016

Report: Blackpool 1 Bury 1

Blackpool were forced to settle for a point against Bury, having been pegged back two minutes after Danny Philliskirk had put them in the ascendancy from the penalty spot.

The striker sent the goalkeeper the wrong way after Jim McAlister had been brought down, but the visitors earned a share of the spoils when Danny Mayor fired home on 76 minutes. 

The draw leaves The Seasiders sat precariously above the relegation zone going into a massive fixture with Doncaster Rovers on Easter Monday.

Looking to build on last weekend’s success at Crewe Alexandra, Blackpool had to deal with Bury pressure early on, but Andrew Tutte’s wayward strike was the extent of their worries.

It was visiting goalkeeper Chris Neal called into action first, getting down low to curl away a curling cross from Mark Cullen, with Philliskirk unable to get a vital touch. 

Bury’s main danger was coming from the lively Mayor, who danced through on 14 minutes, only to loft his effort over Colin Doyle’s crossbar.

After a series of Pool set pieces went to waste soon after, Danny Rose glanced wide and John O’Sullivan blasted over for the visitors, with both sides showing attacking intent.

Pool’s best chance of the half fell to Philliskirk, but when the ball fell to his feet from McAlister’s corner, the striker could only fire at the feet of a defender. 

Two minutes before the break O’Sullivan threatened once more, but his speculative effort flew into the side netting, before Chris Hussey curled a free-kick over in first-half stoppage time. 

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Bury 0

Neil McDonald made his first change at the break, replacing Brad Potts with Bright Osayi-Samuel, but straight after the interval the returning Peter Clarke headed at Doyle. 

There was little to report after the break however, with penalty shouts for a trip on David Norris falling on deaf ears. 

Mark Yeates was the next substitute introduced into the action, taking the place of Cullen on 71 minutes. 

Not long after the substitution the breakthrough finally arrived, as McAlister was fouled in the box and the referee pointed to the spot. Philliskirk picked his spot and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way for 1-0.

However, their joy was short-lived and Bury pulled themselves level two minutes later. After breaking down the right, Mayor was given all the time in the word to scuff home the equaliser. 

Blackpool were pushing hard for the winner and Osayi-Samuel tested Neal with a low effort from range. 

With time running out substitute Ryan Lowe curled into the arms of Doyle, as Blackpool failed to create any further chances in the closing stages.

Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Bury 1

Advertisement block