Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Oldham 1 Blackpool 0

15 March 2016

Report: Oldham 1 Blackpool 0

Blackpool’s survival hopes were dealt a blow as Matt Palmer struck the winner for Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park.

In a battle between two of League One’s bottom four sides, The Latics finished on top after Palmer fired home after the break and Pool had no response. 

It was another frustrating evening for The Seasiders, who failed to force Joel Coleman into little more than elementary saves. 

Their best chance fell to substitute Martin Paterson in injury time, but the experienced striker turned Mark Yeates’ wicked delivery over the bar.

Knowing the importance of the fixture, Blackpool started the better and the recalled Uche Ikpeazu shot straight at Coleman four minutes in. Having allowed Oldham to keep possession with little danger, Pool almost hit the sucker punch when Jim McAlister set up David Norris, but the midfielder dragged his effort wide of the mark. 

The next decent opening fell to McAlister himself, but he could only divert Luke Higham’s cross wide of Coleman’s right-hand post. Colin Doyle’s first involvement saw him comfortably collect an effort from Burton Albion loanee Palmer. 

Blackpool were improving with the ball as the half wore on and Tom Aldred headed their next chance wide from a Liam Smith free-kick. That was it in terms of chances, as the two sides ended a forgettable half on level terms.

Half-Time: Oldham 0 Blackpool 0

The action was an improvement after the break, with both goalkeepers forced into saves in the opening stages. First, Coleman denied Brad Potts, before Curtis Main had Colin Doyle at full-stretch to keep his side level.

On his return to Oldham, Danny Philliskirk then saw an acrobatic effort kept out by Coleman, before the visitors struck at the other end. Aaron Amadi-Holloway was able to get the ball under control inside the Pool box and lay in Palmer to fire into the top corner.

Blackpool's next move saw Yeates replace Smith, although it was a substitution planned prior to the goal. However, as tempers began to over boil, Oldham looked the likelier side to extend their lead, as Jonathan Forte glanced a cross from Brian Wilson wide.

74 minutes in Pool brought Bright Osayi-Samuel off the bench in place of McAlister. Moments later Aldred headed Yeates’ corner over before Paterson replaced Philliskirk. Amadi-Holloway then headed wide for the home side, with Pool’s time running out. 

Late on Osayi-Samuel crashed an effort into the side netting from a tight angle, before the best chance of the half arrived in injury time, but Paterson could only flick Yeates’ dangerous cross over the bar and the defeat was confirmed.

Full-Time: Oldham 1 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block