Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Comprehensive Cup Win For Youth Team

23 November 2016

Roache Double In 4-1 Victory

The youth team progressed to the semi-finals of the Lancashire FA Cup with a 4-1 win against Accrington Stanley.

Rowan Roache’s double and a goal from Finlay Sinclair-Smith put the game to bed early on.

Despite Harry Blackburn scoring for the visitors, it proved to be nothing more than a consolation goal as Ralph Chea wrapped up the scoring in the second-half.

Blackpool came flying out of the blocks and had a great chance just minutes into the game. Chea was played through on goal and beat the on-rushing goalkeeper but couldn’t direct his shot on target from a tight angle.

The striker was then played through on goal again and this time he went down in the box, though his appeals for a penalty were waved away.

The deadlock was broken at the quarter hour mark with Rowan Roache opening the scoring for Ciaran Donnelly’s side with a fantastic free-kick from 30-yards out.

It didn’t take long for The Seasiders to double their lead, as just minutes later the Republic of Ireland forward scored his second goal of the game with a deflected shot from the edge of the box.

Blackpool continued to dominate the game and extended their lead on the half-hour mark after good work from Christian N’Guessan and Sinclair-Smith gave the winger an opportunity to shoot from close range.

The youth team thought that they had scored a fourth goal in the first-half when Will Dunne put the ball into the back of the net, but his goal was disallowed for offside.

Blackburn pulled a goal back for Accrington just before half-time after capitalising on a goalmouth scramble.

Half-Time: Blackpool 3 Accrington Stanley 1

The second-half continued in the same pattern as the first, with Blackpool having a lot of possession and creating a glut of chances.

They came inches away from extending their lead twice, just minutes after the restart. First Sinclair-Smith’s low shot grazed the side netting before Chea rattled the crossbar with a thumping effort.

The Seasiders finally got another goal shortly after the hour mark when Roache delivered a free-kick that Chea rose highest to connect with and nod home to add gloss to the scoreline.

Despite leading by a three-goal margin, Donnelly’s side continued to search for more goals.

N’Guessan was played through on goal by Roache but after controlling the forward’s lofted through ball, the midfielder’s shot was stopped by an excellent last-gasp block.

Dunne came close through a curled shot that flew whiskers wide of the post, before Sinclair-Smith flashed an effort across the face of goal.

Late on in the game, Dylan Sumner had a shot from the edge of the area but his strike smashed against the crossbar.
Blackpool saw out the game to comfortably progress to the semi-finals of the Lancashire FA Youth Cup, with their opponents to be confirmed in the near future.

Full-Time: Blackpool 4 Accrington Stanley 1

Advertisement block