Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 06/11/2016

6 November 2016

Report: Blackpool 2 Kidderminster 0

Blackpool won their first FA Cup tie since 2012 and eased into the second round after two first-half goals saw off Kidderminster Harriers.

Gary Bowyer’s side put in a professional display and avoided an upset thanks to goals from Jamille Matt and Brad Potts.

Matt nodded home his first Blackpool goal against his former employers before Potts crashed home the crucial second goal before the break.

The non-league side put in a good shift but Sam Slocombe remained relatively untested, meaning Blackpool go into Monday’s hat for round two.

The opening ten minutes brought little to report, with the final ball letting the home side down when approaching the Kidderminster area. It was The Seasiders who created the first shot on goal, but after latching on to Mark Yeates’ quick free-kick, Potts missed the target with his lob.

Patient build-up play down the right had the hosts threatening again soon after but Michael Cain’s wild volley flew way off target to conclude the move. 

Their slow-building pressure finally told on 27 minutes as Kyle Vassell’s cross was nodded home by Matt – his first goal in tangerine coming against his former club. 

The visitors almost responded within a minute, as a clever corner routine fashioned an opening for Keith Lowe, but the defender’s effort cannoned off a Blackpool man and into the arms of Sam Slocombe. 

Pool were dealt a blow soon after however, with goal scorer Matt going down with an innocuous-looking injury and needing to be replaced by Danny Philliskirk. 

The injury didn’t halt Blackpool’s momentum however and they quickly made it two, as Potts crashed an effort into the top corner from the edge of the box, after having his initial effort blocked. 

In first-half stoppage time the midfielder could have had his second but blazed over following a marauding run by Kelvin Mellor. And if Potts could have made it three, Philliskirk certainly should have, but the substitute diverted Jim McAlister’s pass wide after being played in. 

Half-Time: Blackpool 2 Kidderminster 0

Blackpool continued the second-half with the same impetus and Cain curled an effort narrowly off target. The midfielder was keen to make an impression and his next attempt, a dipping volley, needed turning around the post by Sam Hornby. 

The Seasiders did have to deal with a few hairy moments at 2-0, while they couldn’t find a third at the other end, with Yeates shooting over and Vassell testing Hornby, both from range.

They continued to probe, looking for the killer third, and Yeates had an effort deflected into the arms of Hornby. For the final ten minutes Mark Cullen and Colin Daniel replaced Vassell and Yeates for Pool.

Neither could force a third goal but it mattered not as Blackpool safely progressed into round two.

Full-Time: Blackpool 2 Kidderminster 0

Advertisement block