Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 22/11/2016

22 November 2016

Report: Mansfield 1 Blackpool 0

Blackpool conceded with the last kick of the game to surrender their six-match unbeaten run at Mansfield Town.

The Seasiders had battled admirably and had chances to score themselves before the late heartbreak. 

Danny Rose won it for the hosts, finishing from a tight angle following a mix-up at the back by The Seasiders. 

Blackpool started brightly on a crisp Nottinghamshire evening but Mark Cullen’s cross couldn’t bring a sweet connection from Brad Potts, who sliced his effort.

Mansfield’s first attempt came from Pat Hoban, who cut inside on Kelvin Mellor and forced Sam Slocombe to palm to safety.

Blackpool were coping with the aerial approach of the home side and were having glimpses of joy on the break, with Potts shooting at Scott Shearer on the half-hour mark. 

In truth, there was little to report on the pitch, with Jamille Matt clearing on to Rhys Bennett and out for a goal kick, as the two sides went in level after an uneventful first-half. 

Half-Time: Mansfield 0 Blackpool 0

It was more of the same after the break, with Blackpool impressively dealing with Mansfield’s threats and looking dangerous at the other end, with Potts blasting a free-kick at Shearer. 

Their next opportunity came from another free-kick, but Clark Robertson’s header from Jack Payne’s brilliant cross was turned behind by a fine, one-handed Shearer save.

From the resulting corner Tom Aldred’s looping header didn’t cause too much concern for The Seasiders as it sailed over. 

On 66 minutes Armand Gnanduillet took the place of Matt, who’d worked tirelessly once again. Moments later Slocombe reacted quick to repel a powerful strike from Chris Clements. 

15 minutes from time Cullen was replaced by Danny Philliskirk and a wild shot from Malvind Benning flew over the Pool bar soon after. 

With time running out Gnanduillet linked up with Philliskirk who was denied by some strong Mansfield defending before Oscar Gobern shot at Slocombe.

There would be one final twist however as a mix-up at the back between Aldred and Robertson led to Slocombe brilliant denying Matt Green, before Rose squeezed home the winner.

Full-Time: Mansfield 1 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block