Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 01/10/2016

1 October 2016

Report: Crawley 1 Blackpool 0

Blackpool were beaten in controversial circumstances at Crawley Town, as Mark Connolly nodded home the only goal of the game to earn the hosts all three points.

The defender rose highest and knocked over Dean Lyness to head home, with appeals for a foul falling on deaf ears from The Seasiders. 

Not at their best, but Blackpool still had enough chances to take something home from West Sussex, with Danny Philliskirk guilty of wasting two fine first-half chances. 

It was the hosts who had the first sighting of goal in West Sussex and Billy Clifford flashed an effort across goal after less than a minute. It didn’t affect Blackpool however, and Jack Payne picked out Kyle Vassell to nod wide soon after.

They were getting into their stride at the Checkatrade Stadium and Philliskirk’s snatched effort was held by Glenn Morris soon after. In an open start to the game, Crawley were having their moments and Adi Yussuf blazed over after hesitance from Andy Taylor.

The best chance of an open first 10 minutes fell to The Seasiders, but Philliskirk could only head Payne’s brilliant cross into the hands of Morris. Meanwhile, Yussuf was looking lively and had a header turned behind by Lyness.

Armand Gnanduillet was next to threaten to break the deadlock, but he nodded another impressive Payne pass wide. However, not long after Blackpool suffered a set back, with skipper for the day Taylor being forced off with a nose injury and getting replaced by Colin Daniel. 

As the half wore on the chances became rarer but James Collins bucked the trend by curling wide three minutes before the break. In added time Yussuf headed wide, before Philliskirk wasted a brilliant chance for Pool, blazing off target after good work from Kyle Vassell.

Half-Time: Crawley 0 Blackpool 0

Blackpool came out for the second-half lively and after Brad Potts’ free-kick was deflected wide, Gnanduillet headed the following corner wide at the back post.

56 minutes in Lyness came to the fore in goal, thwarting Enzio Boldewijn after the winger had raced through on goal. Soon after Jamille Matt took the place of Vassell, with Blackpool opting for height in the final third. 

Despite being quieter after the break, Gnanduillet did test Morris from long range, with the goalkeeper putting the ball behind for a corner at full stretch. 

Not long after Bright Osayi-Samuel was introduced wide left in place of Philliskirk. However, the next opening resulted in the only goal of the game. After the ball held up in the air from a Crawley corner, Connolly out jumped Lyness to bundle home, despite Blackpool appealing for a foul.

Blackpool struggled to respond and Potts headed Payne’s free-kick wide as frustration began to creep in. Four minutes from time another half-chance came and went as Tom Aldred headed into the arms of Morris. 

There would be no final dramatic twist and Blackpool failed to build on Tuesday’s win over Portsmouth, suffering defeat in West Sussex. 

Full-Time: Crawley 1 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block