Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 08/10/2016

8 October 2016

Report: Blackpool 1 Cambridge 1

Andy Taylor’s brilliant free-kick rescued Blackpool a point in injury time against Cambridge United. 

The left-back whipped home the equaliser to cancel out Luke Berry’s own stunning finish from a dead ball in the opening period.

It had looked like being a frustrating afternoon for the home side, who also had Danny Philliskirk’s penalty saved by Luke Norris.

Chances came and went, including a fine Kelvin Mellor volley which rattled the crossbar, but it was left to Taylor to save Pool at the death. 

Blackpool started on the front foot and a fingertip save kept out Kyle Vassell’s looping header - the first question in front of goal. At the other end Dean Lyness got down low to smother a weak effort from Piero Mingoia. 

Without a goal in recent weeks, Armand Gnanduillet was next to threaten, but after showing strength to shrug off Greg Taylor, he rolled a simple effort into the arms of Will Norris, despite Vassell offering an option wide left. 

And they were made to pay for that wastefulness on 17 minutes as Berry curled an inch-perfect free-kick over the wall and into the top corner, giving Lyness no chance. 

Despite that, it was Blackpool still creating the chances and Vassell slipped in Philliskirk, who took too many touches and was denied by Norris.

The goalkeeper, who saved two penalties against Accrington Stanley last week, was at it again on 33 minutes. Philliskirk won the spot kick himself, as his cross was handled by Harrison Dunk, but the striker went down the middle with his kick and was denied by Norris. 

With half-time approaching Philliskirk’s ball set up Vassell, whose powerful effort was deflected over for a corner. And the striker came even closer in injury time, as Norris turned away another Vassell strike which was heading for the roof of the net. 

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Cambridge 1

The Seasiders upped the intensity after the break and Vassell quickly nodded Mellor’s cross narrowly wide of the mark. However, Gary Bowyer had seen enough by 59 minutes, as Mark Cullen and Bright Osayi-Samuel took to the field in place of Gnanduillet and Philliskirk. 

Meanwhile, Cambridge were bringing on former Blackpool loan Uche Ikpeazu and he was making his presence knowing, firing down the throat of Lyness. Injured in action, the goalkeeper was forced off with injury soon after, being replaced by EFL debutant Myles Boney. 

It was at the other end where the action was taking place however, and following a long Jack Payne thrown, Mellor crashed a volley onto the crossbar, with Norris nowhere near it. 

Despite being frustrated, Blackpool were still having opportunities and next Payne set up Cullen to drag an effort across the face of goal and wide.

As the board for added time went up Pool finally broke down their visitors, as Tom Aldred was fouled and Taylor whipped home a fine free-kick to share the spoils.

Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Cambridge 1

Advertisement block