Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 15/10/2016

15 October 2016

Report: Accrington 2 Blackpool 1

Rommy Boco scored twice in the last six minutes to see Accrington Stanley come from behind to steal the points away from Blackpool.

The substitute was left unmarked at the back post to fire underneath Sam Slocombe in injury time, after his penalty had pulled the hosts level.  

The Seasiders looked on course for three points after Michael Cain’s curling free-kick had finally put them in front at the Wham Stadium, but that was just the start of the drama. 

Blackpool started brightly in the autumn sun and Jamille Matt, enjoying his first league start for the club, tested former Pool goalkeeper Elliot Parish early on. 

While both sides were enjoying spells of possession and moving the ball around well, all the chances were coming from distance, as Brad Potts had an effort put behind for a corner. 

The hosts did have the ball in the net on the half-hour mark, as Sean McConville slotted home but the offside flagged denied him, before Matt shot down the throat of Parish. 

Accrington were improving as the half wore on and Seamus Conneely blazed over after McConville’s free-kick had cannoned off the wall. 

Six minutes before the break Potts had a golden opportunity to give The Seasiders lead, but after meeting Andy Taylor’s free-kick, the midfielder could only nod his header wide.

Half-Time: Accrington 0 Blackpool 0

With little between the sides in the first-half, there was more of the same after the break, as Potts was denied by some strong defending and Terry Gornell tested Sam Slocombe.

The first big chance fell to Kyle Vassell, but after being slipped in by Matt, the striker drilled his effort narrowly wide. Soon after it was Matt’s turn, but the striker was denied by the onrushing Parish.

Blackpool were improving as the half wore on and they had their own goal ruled out on 63 minutes. Aldred’s towering header looked destined for the back of the net but Vassell’s touch on the line ruled it out for offside.

At the other end a fine one-handed save kept out McConville’s deflect effort, before former Seaside favourite Gary Taylor-Fletcher headed wide. 

With 20 minutes to go Kelvin Mellor headed another dangerous Taylor free-kick wide, before Michael Cain and Mark Cullen replaced Jim McAlister and Matt. 

Cullen was quickly involved but couldn’t get on the end of a teasing Vassell ball, before Armand Gnanduillet replaced the former Peterborough striker. 

Not long after Colin Daniel earned his side a free-kick in an a dangerous free-kick. With everyone expecting last week’s hero Taylor to step up, it was left for Cain to bend his free-kick around the wall and inside the post. 

Looking to seal the win, Blackpool continued to attack and Cullen set up Potts to drill at Parish. 

However, with three minutes to go Accrington were gifted a route back into the game, as the referee adjudged Aldred to have fouled his man inside the area and Boco squeezed his kick past Slocombe.

There was still time for them to win it too, as Boco steamed in at the back post to earn the home side all three points. 

Full-Time: Accrington 2 Blackpool 1

Advertisement block