Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 22/10/2016

22 October 2016

Report: Blackpool 4 Doncaster 2

Brad Potts’ double helped Blackpool to a well-earned victory in a six-goal thriller with Doncaster Rovers at Bloomfield Road.

Blackpool had to come from behind after Andy Taylor’s unfortunate own goal, but Brad Potts and Kelvin Mellor had the home side ahead at the break.

Potts’ free-kick made it three before Kyle Vassell quickly added to their lead. 

Tommy Rowe’s penalty gave the visitors hope but Sam Slocombe’s brilliant save from the same man’s second spot kick to see The Seasiders through. 

Just 40 seconds in the game already had a goal with its first attacking play. James Coppinger broke free from midfield after being played in from John Marquis, fizzed the ball in and the helpless Taylor could only convert into his own net.

Blackpool started to find their way into the game with 15 minutes gone. Potts went through into the Rovers area after a clever dummy from Vassell, but the eventual chance for Jamille Matt was turned over for a corner. 

Not long after, Blackpool equalised through Potts. He made a smart run on the left and latched on to a quickly taken free-kick from Vassell. The midfielder squared up his opposing defender, shifted the ball wide and smashed home with his left foot.

The Seasiders now had a foothold in the game and, shortly before the break, they took the lead. Danny Pugh’s searching cross from the left evaded everyone except Mellor, who reached out fantastically to keep the ball in play and his volleyed shot-cum-cross, from a tight angle, looped over goalkeeper Marko Marosi and found its way into the back of the net.

Half-time score: Blackpool 2 Doncaster Rovers 1

Gary Bowyer’s men showed no mercy after the break either, as they made it three just a minute after the restart. A free-kick some 30 yards out was laid-off to Potts. The onrushing defender did nothing to deter Blackpool’s midfeidler as he caught it sweetly with his right foot and watched it fly into the Doncaster net.

With barely a chance for Darren Ferguson’s side to regroup, Blackpool were 4-1 up. Vassell turned the ball over in midfield and curled his shot away from Marosi with his left foot.

Blackpool weren’t in cruise-control for long, however. With just over 20 minutes to go, Rowe was fumbled over in the box by returning skipper Pugh. Rowe himself dully stepped up to take it and scored despite Slocombe’s best efforts.

Rovers continued to search for a way back into the game and with five minutes left to play they had themselves another penalty. Again, Rowe stepped up and shot low to the left, but yhis time Slocombe was not be fooled. Pool’s goalkeeper got down well with a solid right hand to keep a two goal cushion for Pool.

Six minutes were added after an eventful 90 but Blackpool were able to stay resolute against a desperate Doncaster side in the latter stages and deservedly came away with all three points.

Full-Time: Blackpool 4 Doncaster Rovers 2 

By Pete McCarthy

Advertisement block