Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 29/10/2016

29 October 2016

Report: Cheltenham 2 Blackpool 2

Kyle Vassell’s brace was enough for just a point as Blackpool twice came from behind to draw at Cheltenham Town.

Like so often this season, Pool were the better side but failed to force home at third goal their efforts deserved.

Danny Pugh’s own goal was cancelled out when Vassell capped a fine counter attack with a thumping finish.

Danny Wright instantly had the hosts back in front in the first-half, but Vassell rifled home his second to earn his side a point.

Blackpool began with the bit still between the teeth from last week and Brad Potts set up Jamille Matt in the opening minute, but the striker was thwarted by a fine Russell Griffiths save.

Potts was again involved six minutes later but after rounding Griffiths, crashed his effort onto the crossbar and out for a goal kick.

It was all Blackpool in the opening stages and Vassell’s free-kick deflected inches wide, before Potts, Kelvin Mellor and Jack Payne were all denied by some brave Cheltenham blocking.

However, despite all that dominance, it was the hosts who took the lead as James Dayton’s free-kick was diverted beyond Sam Slocombe by Pugh.

Blackpool’s stranglehold on possession loosened from that moment and only strong defending from Andy Taylor denied Cheltenham’s Billy Waters making it 2-0.

Chances were still coming for Pool however, and Mellor’s glancing header from Pugh’s corner couldn’t have come much closer to hitting the target. 

The right-back turned provider moments later and his brilliant cross was met by Vassell’s head, but the striker was denied by a defender on the line. 

Right on the stroke of half-time Blackpool were finally rewarded for their endeavour with a thoroughly-deserved equaliser. 

From a Cheltenham corner Pool broke and a lung-bursting run from Potts created space for Vassell, who was picked out the midfielder, and he rewarded the pass with a thumping finish beyond Griffiths.

However, there was still time for the home side to retake the lead, as Wright was left unmarked at the back post to steer home beyond Slocombe. 

Half-Time: Cheltenham 2 Blackpool 1

With Gary Bowyer’s words still ringing in their ears, Blackpool wasted no time in equalising for the second time. Vassell exchanged passes with Payne and rifled home his second of the game into the top corner from the edge of the box.

It was anybody’s game from here and Wright should have done better when heading Harry Pell’s cross wide of the mark. 

Colin Daniel then slipped in Potts, who was denied by the onrushing Griffiths, before the goalkeeper kept out a powerful Matt strike. 

With nine minutes to go Bowyer made his first change, with Armand Gnanduillet replacing Matt. 

Seconds later Slocombe did well to hold on to a powerful Pell strike, but The Seasiders frustrated after picking up just the one point at Whaddon Road.

Full-Time: Cheltenham 2 Blackpool 2

Advertisement block