Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Fight Back To Draw With Wrexham

4 September 2016

Six-Goal Encounter At Myerscough

The youth team came back from 3-1 down to draw 3-3 against AFC Wrexham at Myerscough College.

Dylan Sumner got Blackpool off to the perfect start, but a poor 20-minute spell saw the visitors head into the break with a 3-1 lead.

However a second-half comeback, through a second goal from Sumner and another from Rowan Roache, secured a share of the spoils for Ciaran Donnelly’s side.

Blackpool started the game well and Sumner put the Tangerines ahead in the fifth minute with a powerful header from a cross by Caleb Richards.

The goal boosted the youth team and they continued to attack the Wrexham goal.

Roache went close just moments after the goal when the ball was dragged back to him, but his effort was just off target.

Sumner had a curling effort well saved and Ralph Chea also threatened the Wrexham goal with a shot that flashed across the face of the net.

Sumner had another effort saved before Wrexham equalised against the run of play through an effort from midfield that caught Jack Sims off his guard.

The visitors took the lead for the first time in the match in the 22nd minute, when a Wrexham goal-kick deflected off Denzel Williams and into a path of a Wrexham forward who scored.

Wrexham then extended their lead through a corner shortly after to head into half-time with a two-goal advantage.

Half-time: Blackpool 1 Wrexham 3

Blackpool started the second-half strongly and reduced the deficit through Sumner, who scored from inside the area.

Will Dunne nearly equalised for Blackpool shortly after when he had an effort palmed away for a corner, before Sumner tested the goalkeeper again with a volley from the edge of the box.

Wrexham’s goalkeeper was forced into action again when Ben Badu drilled a low shot on target.

Roache equalised for The Seasiders with a curling effort from outside of the box that hit the inside of the post and went into the bottom corner.

Both sides pressed for a late winner but were left to settle for a point apiece.

Full-time: Blackpool 3 Wrexham 3

After the game, Academy Manager Ciaran Donnelly said: “It’s been a frustrating day because we started really well and when we went 1-0 up we thought it’d be a good day, then we switched off and conceded a stupid goal.

“We collapsed for 15 minutes and gave ourselves a huge mountain to climb in the second-half and our quality showed to get back into it. 

“It showed we have quality players that don’t know when they’re beaten so we should be in a lot of games, even when we don’t play well, because we’ve got the quality to get back into games.”

Advertisement block