Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 14/04/2017

14 April 2017

Report: Blackpool 0 Accrington 0

Kyle Vassell's second-half missed penalty meant Blackpool were held to a stalemate with Accrington Stanley. 

The penalty was awarded after continuous pressure from The Seasiders, as Jack Payne was bundled over in the box, however Vassell failed to convert.

And they came even closer in injury time as Kelvin Mellor's header came back off the post, leaving Pool chasing the Play-Off positions.

It was the experienced midfielder, Neil Danns, who had Pool’s first effort on target, forcing a save from 25 yards out. Tom Aldred found himself in acres of space to meet the following corner, but failed to direct his header goalwards.

Mellor was next to hit the target with a header at the back post after some good work by Vassell. This time, however, Marek Rodak in the Accrington goal was able to catch the ball safely.

Accrington arrived at Bloomfield just two points behind The Seasiders, as they looked to stretch their unbeaten run to 14 and mount a promotion push of their own. Billy Kee and Jordan Clark had early efforts for Stanley, but neither could find the target.

Blackpool had their best chance of the half on 37 minutes through Bright Osayi-Samuel. A blistering counter-attack, starting with Danns, lead to Colin Daniel playing the youngster through on goal. An offside flag and a poor finish prevented an opening goal.

Half-time score: Blackpool 0 Accrington 0

The second-half kicked off in ferocious style. First, the space opened up in front of Danns who ran straight at the visiting defence. Despite being tripped just outside the area, the referee waved play on, to the bemusement of the Blackpool players.

The decision led to a breakaway for Stanley, who got in behind through Sean McConville. The ball was pulled back and thankfully for Pool, Aldred was on the line for a heroic clearance to keep the score level.

The game continued to be a tight affair with both sides cancelling each other out. Omar Beckles almost gave the away side the lead, but sliced wide of the mark from a matter of yards following a corner kick.

Osayi-Samuel and Brad Potts made way for Sanmi Odelusi and Flores as Bowyer looked to end the game strong.

The two on loan substitutes from Wigan Athletic linked up instantly to create a rare chance with 20 minutes to go, which led to Flores’ right-foot shot ending up in Rodak’s arms once again.

5 minutes later, however, it looked like Blackpool’s pressure finally told as they were awarded a penalty for a foul on Payne. Vassell stepped up with his left foot but failed to find the corner and the young goalkeeper, again, got down well to save.

It was to be Vassell’s final act, too, as Jamille Matt came on as Blackpool made their final substitution in an attempt to gather all three points.

With just a few minutes to go, John Coleman’s side had a penalty shout of their own, but was controversially turned down by official Mark Brown. Matty Pearson had ran clear as Blackpool were pushing for a winner and went down under the challenge from Sam Slocombe. The referee, despite having the whistle to his mouth, indicated that Pool’s goalkeeper had won the ball.

Full-back Mellor was inches away from having the final say and stealing all three points at the death, but hit the post on a frustrating Good Friday for Blackpool.

Full-time result: Blackpool 0 Accrington 0

Advertisement block