Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 1 Grimsby Town 3

8 April 2017

Report: Blackpool 1 Grimsby Town 3

Blackpool suffered their second defeat in as many weeks with a 3-1 home defeat to Grimsby Town.

Two set-pieces were Blackpool’s undoing in the first-half, with Danny Collins and Sam Jones scoring the goals before half-time.

Andrew Boyce had previously drawn Pool level with an own goal, heading past his goalkeeper while seeking to clear Andy Taylor’s cross.

Jones was to seal a difficult afternoon for the hosts though with his second goal of the game, bullying Tom Aldred off the ball to convert one-on-one past Dean Lyness.

It was the visitors who were to have the first effort of the game, but Calum Dyson curled his shot wide in front of the away supporters.

The Seasiders came to life just after, Bright Osayi-Samuel beat his man down the left flank and fizzed the ball just past the post via a slight deflection. Aldred unfortunately nodded just wide from the corner.

Just before the 20-minute mark Grimsby took a deserved lead. Kelvin Mellor took one for the team as he put his head in front of another left-footed strike from Dyson, but could only deflect it out for a corner. From the second phase Collins rose highest at the back post to nod past Dean Lyness.

The Seasiders looked to respond and started dominating the possession. This led to Blackpool’s first effort on target through Brad Potts. The midfielder broke behind the Grimsby defence on the right and fired a shot first time which forced the save from James McKeown.

The breakthrough for Pool finally came with minutes to spare before half-time. Taylor’s cross from the left had to be dealt with but unluckily for Boyce, his attempt to clear the lines resulted in an own goal as he headed past a helpless McKeown.

Blackpool were unable to hold on until half-time, however. Jones converted from close range following yet another set-piece just before the whistle. The goal came after a spectacular save from Lyness from another Dyson effort.

Half-Time score: Blackpool 1 Grimsby Town 2

Gary Bowyer’s side returned from the interval on the front foot, looking to turnaround the first-half deficit.

Jordan Flores forced a save from 20 yards with a shot from his weaker right foot, but The Mariners were able to clear the ball to safety.

Then Flores tried to turn creator, lifting the ball into the box for Vassell to meet with a diving header. Again, though, the ball went agonisingly past the wrong side of the post.

Pool were being frustrated by the visiting team, who were clearly out to impress after last week’s thumping to Doncaster. Ian Black and Jamille Matt were introduced to change the game.

Before the substitutes could make an impact, though, Grimsby grabbed another. Jones won his tussle with Aldred on the right-hand side and sprinted through with a clear sight of goal. The finish was emphatic, leaving Lyness with no chance of getting to it.

Marcus Bignot’s side were strong and resolute, and it looked as though Blackpool would need a slice of luck to get back into the game. That luck seemed to be missing, however, as Vassell appeared to had pulled a goal back for Pool with the goalkeeper scrambling to keep the ball out. Frustratingly for Blackpool, though, the officials waved away the appeals that the ball had crossed the line.

Osayi-Samuel hit the target late on, but the goalkeeper was a match to his effort again. 

Full-time result: Blackpool 1 Grimsby Town 3

Advertisement block