Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Luton 1 Blackpool 0

1 April 2017

Report: Luton 1 Blackpool 0

Blackpool suffered late heartache to lose for the first time in ten matches after substitute Ollie Palmer earned Luton Town three points late on at Kenilworth Road.

The two play-off contenders had battled it out evenly for the entirety, with both goalkeepers producing big saves before the hosts struck. 

Mark Cullen headed wide and Kyle Vassell had a spectacular effort turned onto the bar, but The Seasiders failed to find a breakthrough.

Instead it was Luton who claimed all three points late on when Dean Lyness pushed Luke Gambin's effort into the path of Palmer to tap home. 

With little separating the two clubs in the league table, there was no surprise they were evenly matched early on, with Isaac Vassell’s deflected shot the first effort of note 15 minutes in.

The pressure was a slow builder from the hosts and their leading goal scorer Danny Hylton volleyed at Lyness soon after, following a deep free-kick.  

The two strikers then combined on the 20-munute mark, as Vassell fed Hylton, but Lyness was quickly off his line to make the save with his feet.

Blackpool’s first shot on goal came through Neil Danns but, although powerfully struck, it was well blocked by the Luton defence, who saw Alan Sheehan shoot wide moments later. 

Cullen was returning to Kenilworth Road for the first time since his departure in 2015 and could have done better when glancing Colin Daniel’s cross wide of the mark. 

The Seasiders grew into the half and when Bright Osayi-Samuel beat his man and got the byline, his cut back was almost knocked home by an onrushing Cullen.

With five minutes remaining Blackpool cranked up the pressure and forced Matt Macey into a pair of smart saves. First, strong running allowed Osayi-Samuel to curl towards the top corner, only for the goalkeeper to tip over at full-stretch.

From the resulting corner Danns tested Macey but the stopper dropped to his left to keep the game goalless at the break.

Half-Time: Luton 0 Blackpool 0

Blackpool came out for the second period the better team but failed to create anything in way of chances, despite getting into some promising positions. 

That meant Gary Bowyer rang the changes on 67 minutes, with Osayi-Samuel and Cullen making way for Nathan Delfouneso and Vassell.

Unsurprisingly the pair were instantly involved, as Delfouneso’s cross fell inviting for Vassell to produce a stunning overhead kick which was brilliantly turned onto the bar by Macey.

Potts’ cross was then headed into the arms of the goalkeeper by Clark Roberton, before Luton kicked into life and a defensive slip from Tom Aldred saw Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu burst into the box, but Lyness got down low to produce an unbelievable one-handed save.

The goalkeeper then displayed his bravery, diving at the feet of Hylton to thwart the striker. 

With five minutes left a tiring Brad Potts was replaced by Sanmi Odelusi. 

However, seconds before the board went up for added time The Hatters won it. Gambin’s shot was parried into the path of Palmer by Lyness and the striker duly tapped home the winner.

Full-Time: Luton 1 Blackpool 0 

Advertisement block