Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Blackpool 1 Wigan 1 (4-5 On Pens)

29 August 2017

Blackpool’s Checkatrade Trophy campaign began with a penalty shootout defeat to Wigan Athletic, after Fin Sinclair-Smith had a senior debut to remember, netting a late equaliser in normal time.

Gary Bowyer opted to provide game time to the rest of his squad and twice debutant, Scott Quigley tested Jamie Jones in the Wigan goal.
Alex Gilbey opened the scoring for Wigan when he found the bottom corner, away from Ben Williams, on 61 minutes.
However, Sinclair-Smith came off the bench to send the cup tie to a penalty shootout after racing clear and producing a fine finish late on.
It was the visitors who claimed the bonus point though, as Jones saved from Sinclair-Smith after four Seasiders had netting from 12 yards.
The first effort of note at Bloomfield Road fell to the visitors, but after jinxing past Donervon Daniels, Quigley stung the palms of Jones in the Wigan goal.
Nathan Delfouneso was the next to threaten, but opted to cut inside and fire a right footed effort down the throat of Jones, after good build-up play. 
As for Wigan, Gilbey had two efforts come close, with the second forcing Williams to parry behind for a corner. 
Max Power had their next attempt, drilling narrowly over from the edge of the box, before Luke Burgess volleyed over. 
The final moment of the half saw Wigan come as close as anyone to taking the lead, as Callum Lang watched his right-footed free-kick come back off the crossbar, after a fingertip save by Williams. 
Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Wigan 0
A half-time change saw Armand Gnanduillet replace Peter Hartley, and The Seasiders could have led early in the half, had Jones not excelled to deny Quigley. 
Gibey and Delfouneso both went close for their respective sides after that, before the visitors broke the deadlock just after the hour-mark. 
It was Gilbey the scorer, as he guided an effort beyond Williams’ reach and into the bottom corner.
Bowyer reacted by bringing on youngsters Rowan Roache and Sinclair-Smith, who was making his senior debut, for Sessi D’Almeida and Quigley. 
As the half wore on Power forced a fingertip save from Williams, before Lang fired wide from the resulting corner. 
However, that wasn’t the end of the action and when Sinclair-Smith was sent clear down the left, the second-year scholar showed composure to bend home into the bottom corner. 
Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Wigan 1
So it went to penalties and Sinclair-Smith’s decisive penalty was saved by Jones, as Wigan claimed the bonus point with a 5-4 shootout win. 
Taylor Scores
Clayton Misses
Mellor Scores
Delfouneso Scores
Roache Scores
Sinclair-Smith Misses
Power Scores
Gilbey Scores 
Hunt Scores
Maffeo Scores
Barrigan Misses
Laurent Scores

Advertisement block