Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Doncaster 3 Blackpool 3

19 August 2017

Blackpool and Doncaster Rovers shared the points after a pulsating 3-3 draw at the Keepmoat Stadium, as Gary Bowyer’s men came from behind on three separate occasions.

Sean Longstaff, Ollie Turton and Callum Cooke produced three brilliant finishes and the perfect response each time, as The Seasiders earned their first point on the road this season.
Longstaff’s unbelievable strike cancelled out Ryan Allsop’s own goal, before Turton produced a similarly impressive strike, after John Marquis had netted for the hosts.
When Alfie May struck it looked like the hosts had stolen the points, however there was once again a Pool response, as Cooke finished a fine team move by stroking home the third equaliser. 
Blackpool settled into the fixture well and Turton’s cross could have caused more damage early on, but Longstaff’s back heel didn’t massively trouble Ian Lawlor in the Doncaster goal.
At the other end, Curtis Tilt did brilliantly to deny Marquis, who looked certain to score. Plenty of Doncaster crosses were coming into the Pool box by this point, but they were dealing comfortably with each one.
When Blackpool were back on the attack themselves they looked set to take the lead, as Kyle Vassell went over the top to find his strike partner Mark Cullen, who ran through, only to pull his hamstring when set to pull the trigger.
The injury, a real shame for the striker, saw Cooke come off the bench to replace Cullen.
Soon after Jimmy Ryan’s free-kick was headed agonisingly wide by Clark Robertson, before James Coppinger glanced his own headed narrowly wide for the hosts.
The hosts did take the lead soon after, and it came out of the blue, as James Rowe tried his luck from the edge of the box, saw his effort cannon off the crossbar, come back of the luckless Allsop’s back and bounce into the net.
However, Blackpool would go one better just seconds later, as last week’s goal scorer Longstaff, chose his range and arrowed a tremendous effort into the top corner. 
Just when it looked like the two sides would go in for the break level, Doncaster retook the lead on the stroke of half-time, as despite Tilt’s on the line clearance, Blackpool didn’t properly clear a free-kick and Marquis hooked home from close range.
Half-Time: Doncaster 2 Blackpool 1
After the break Blackpool went about pulling themselves level for a second time, and after plenty of probing, it was another bolt from the blue which brought its reward, as Turton produced another unbelievable finish, out of Lawlor’s reach and into the top corner.
That goal provided a timely boost and Viv Solomon-Otabor, fresh off the bench for Nick Anderton, fed Vassell soon after with a terrific through ball, but the striker couldn’t squeeze the ball beyond Lawlor. 
Instead, Doncaster took the latest advantage in a crazy game soon after, as Robertson sliced his clearance and substitute, May pounced to turn past Allsop. 
However, just like after the opening goal, Blackpool responded instantly, and it was a brilliant move. Colin Daniel fed Longstaff, who had the awareness to pick out the run of Cooke, who caressed the ball through a crowd of bodies and into the corner. 
Almost every chance was brining a goal at the Keepmoat Stadium, but Blackpool stood up to the test late on, as Allsop got down low to keep out an effort from May in injury time, as a crazy game concluded at 3-3.
Full-Time: Doncaster 3 Blackpool 3

Advertisement block