Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wigan 2 Blackpool 1

8 August 2017

Luckless Blackpool bowed out of the Carabao Cup at the first round, despite shading proceedings in a 2-1 defeat to Wigan Athletic.

Two first-half goals proved enough for the hosts, as Josh Laurent and Jordan Flores found the back of the net.
The Seasiders were dominant throughout the second period, but couldn’t build on Peter Hartley’s scrambled goal from an Andy Taylor corner.
They did have chances late on to force extra time, most notably when substitute Jamille Matt clipped the top of the cross bar from close range. 
The Seasiders, having made nine changes from Saturday’s defeat, began well at the DW Stadium and Bright Osayi-Samuel could have made it 1-0 after two minutes, but was denied by Owen Evans.
Wigan’s first attempt came through Alex Gilbey, but Ben Williams got down low to push away the effort. However, he could do nothing to prevent the hosts taking the lead soon after, as Laurent broke forward and tucked home underneath him. 
Max Clayton on debut should have levelled for The Seasiders, with three chances falling to him in quick succession. First, he headed over and then tested Evans from range, before clipping Viv Solomon-Otabor’s cross over the bar. 
Wigan’s number nine, Will Grigg then threatened to double their lead, heading wide at the back post, while Nick Anderton should have drawn Pool level soon after when he directed Sean Longstaff’s free-kick over from point-blank range.
Then, right on the stroke of half-time, the hosts doubled their lead when former Seasiders Flores was given time and space on the edge of the box to fire into the corner, beyond Williams for 2-0. 
Half-Time: Wigan 2 Blackpool 0
The hosts could have increased their lead after the break when Williams denied Grigg, before Pool pulled themselves back into the contest, as Taylor’s terrific corner was bundled home by Hartley from close range.   
Then came Pool’s first change, with Danny Philliskirk replacing Clayton. And Matt followed soon after, in place of the hobbling Osayi-Samuel.
It was all The Seasiders in the closing stages, as Solomon-Otabor ran through and was denied by Evans. While, Matt had two headers from Taylor deliveries come close, directing over with the first effort, before clipping the top of the cross bar with the second.
Hartley’s header was next to threaten, but Evans held on, before Matt’s bicycle kick flew narrowly over the bar and Armand Gnanduillet fired just wide, as Pool were put out at the first round.
Full-Time: Wigan 2 Blackpool 1

Advertisement block