Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Dunne At The Double As Youth Team Win

Under-18s Beat Carlisle United 4-1

7 December 2017

Will Dunne scored twice as Blackpool secured their third straight away win on Tuesday afternoon.

The first moments were a cagey affair, as both teams got used to the pitch and weather conditions. The first main chance fell to Rowan Roache, who fired wide from the edge of the box after Owen Watkinson had got to the byline and pulled the ball back.

Carlisle soon went down the other end, and midfielder Josh Dixon hit a thunderous shot from the edge of the D, but it was saved and held by Blackpool goalkeeper Craig Thordarson.

Ben Jacobson then had a couple of chances, both thanks to Rowan Roache deliveries from set pieces. The first saw The Seasiders’ captain flick the ball wide of the mark, with the second seeing the ball fly agonisingly over his head from a corner.

The hosts should have taken the lead on the twenty minute mark, as Max Cowburn’s cross was missed by everybody in the box, with Dean Watson looking like he had to score.

Blackpool punished their opponents, with Will Dunne netting the opener in the 23rd minute. Just moments after hitting the woodwork, the striker scored from a yard out, after some great play from Rowan Roache. He found Tom Williams, whose cross was knocked back across goal by Owen Watkinson, where Dunne was there to finish.

Fifteen minutes later, and the lead was doubled, with the second coming in the form of an own goal. A deep free-kick to the back post was headed by a Carlisle defender, but it hit a teammate and ricocheted into the goal.

The lead was three before the half through Rowan Roache. The midfielder swung in a free kick from the left, and it evaded everybody, including the goalkeeper, to nestle in the far corner.

It could have been more before the break, with Roache’s deflected shot bringing a wonderful save from Reigan Ward in the Carlisle goal, before Dylan Sumner headed over from a corner kick.

Half-Time: Carlisle United 0 Blackpool 3

The hosts had the first chance of the second-half, as the ball bounced around in the box, Craig Thordarson got down low to save and hold the ball.

Owen Watkinson then nearly made it four for the visitors. A cross came in from Tom Williams on the right, but the ‘keeper got there just in front of the striker to stop the danger.

Shortly after, it was 4-0. Will Dunne got his second of the afternoon, as he turned home a Rowan Roache corner kick, standing directly in front of the helpless goalkeeper.

Carlisle got one back immediately to cut the deficit back to three. Max Cowburn struck from the edge of the area, with nothing Craig Thordarson could do.

Rowan Roache had another couple of efforts late on, with one being saved by the keeper, down to his left, before he fired over after some good interplay with Owen Watkinson down the left in another passage of play.

The full-time whistle blew to end the match, with Blackpool winning 4-1, their third straight away win. Nine points and 14 goals scored, with West Ham in the FA Youth Cup up next for the lads.

Full-Time: Carlisle United 1 Blackpool 4

Team: Thordarson; Jacobson (c), Avon, Winstanley; Williams, Newton, Sumner, Shaw; Roache; Watkinson, Dunne

Unused: Maddox, Simson, Flynn, Graham, Jaaskelainen

Advertisement block