Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 2 Scunthorpe United 3

Seasiders Edged Out In Five-Goal Encounte

26 December 2017

A late strike from Sean Longstaff proved scant consolation as Blackpool were punished for slow starts to both halves in a 3-2 defeat to Scunthorpe United.

Goals from Tom Hopper and Duane Holmes had the visitors in a strong position inside eight minutes, though Danny Philliskirk did half the initial deficit.

That two-goal advantage was restored immediately after the restart when Hakeeb Adelakun found the net from distance, before Longstaff pulled another back late on.  

The final score didn’t tell the full story of the game though, with Blackpool dominating for large periods and seeing a number of opportunities saved by Matt Gilks.

Manager Gary Bowyer made two changes to the side from Saturday’s draw at Charlton, with Sean Longstaff and Nathan Delfouneso coming in for Andy Taylor and Callum Cooke.

The match got off to the worst possible start for Blackpool, with Tom Hopper giving the visitors the lead inside the first minute. The forward latched on to a flick from Duane Holmes and found the top corner on the volley.

An immediate response from Blackpool almost came courtesy of Sessi D’Almeida, who lashed an effort inches wide of the post from 18-yards out.

Not long after, Scunthorpe doubled their advantage. Hakeeb Adelakun won the ball in the middle of the park and was given space to thread it through for Holmes, who managed to get a yard on Clark Robertson and find the near corner.

Another good chance presented itself for The Seasiders in the aftermath of that goal, however Sean Longstaff was unable to find the target from eight-yards out.

Blackpool did pull one goal back in the 25th minute though, as Danny Philliskirk latched on to a lay-off from Nathan Delfouneso before finding the bottom corner from 20-yards.

Sessi D’Almeida joined Jimmy Ryan in the book when he prevented Scunthorpe from taking a quick free-quick. It meant The Seasiders were walking a tightrope in the middle of the park.

A deep free-kick that was headed back across goal required Armand Gnanduillet and Ben Williams to both scramble clear as Blackpool looked to deny the opposition a third.

At the other end, Nathan Delfouneso had two attempts at goal, one which was saved by Gilks and one fired wide on the volley.

Half-Time: Blackpool 1 Scunthorpe United 2

Despite ending the first-half strongly, the start to the second saw Blackpool concede again a minute in. Hakeeb Adelakun was the man to find the net with a 25-yard strike that nestled into the bottom corner.

The third goal prompted Blackpool to change to a diamond in midfield, however that soon changed with the introductions of Jay Spearing and Scott Quigley from the bench. Jimmy Ryan and Nathan Delfouneso were the players to be withdrawn.

The Seasiders then went more direct in an attempt to cause the opposition problems, with Gnanduillet and Quigley leading the line. It worked for a period, though.

Matt Gilks was called into action three times in as many minutes, with the former ‘Pool stopper denying Armand Gnanduillet, Curtis Tilt and Sean Longstaff.

Blackpool finally got past him again in the 89th minute, when Sean Longstaff fired in.

Four minutes of added time went up on the board and a penalty appeal when Curtis Tilt went down in the box was also waved away.

Full-Time: Blackpool 2 Scunthorpe United 3

Advertisement block