Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 07/02/2017

7 February 2017

Report: Blackpool 0 Crawley Town 0

A missed penalty from Neil Danns proved expensive as Blackpool played out a drab 0-0 draw with Crawley Town at Bloomfield Road.

The midfielder won the spot kick himself but dragged wide from 12 yards on what was a night of few chances.

Kelvin Mellor struck the post after the break but there was little chances to note otherwise, as Crawley offered little in response.

There was nothing to report after a slow start to proceedings, with James Collins’ deflected effort on 18 minutes the first time either goalkeeper was called into action.

The hosts were given a golden opportunity to take the lead minutes later however, when Danns was chopped down in the box by Joe McNerney. The midfielder stepped up himself but scuffed his kick wide of the mark.

They were almost instantly punished as well, as Conor Henderson took aim from the edge of the box and forced Sam Slocombe to save at the second attempt, under pressure from Collins.

As half-time approached Jordan Roberts called Slocombe into action, but it was nothing more than an elementary stop from range.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Crawley 0

The second period was much improved for the hosts, who saw Andy Taylor force a fine one-handed save from Glenn Morris from a free-kick, following a foul on Danns.

Gary Bowyer changed his hand with the introduction of Kyle Vassell and Sanmi Odelusi for Jamille Matt and Nathan Delfouneso.

Moments later Danns manufactured an opening for Jack Payne, but the midfield swung well wide, before a piece of last-ditch defending from Tom Aldred denied Jordan Roberts a certain goal.

The following corner sparked panic in the Pool box, but they were let off the hook when Jimmy Smith prodded wide.

At the other end Jordan Flores flashed an effort off target, before the Wigan loanee swung a free-kick harmlessly over the bar.

McNerney was the next to threaten, but he directed a free header into the arms of Slocombe.

Pool’s big chance arrived on 76 minutes, but when the ball eventually fell invitingly for Mellor, the defender saw his shot deflected onto the outside of the post by Dean Cox.

Colin Daniel was then introduced for Danns for the closing stages and soon after Odelusi had a goal ruled out for a handball.

The striker also lofted over late on, but it was to be the final chance as Pool were held at home once again.

Full-Time: Blackpool 0 Crawley 0

Advertisement block