Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 25/02/2017

25 February 2017

Report: Exeter 2 Blackpool 2

Blackpool were pegged back from two goals up and forced to settle for a point once again, as Exeter City came from behind to draw at St James Park.

The Seasiders were good value for their lead, which came through Colin Daniel’s tap in and a powerful effort from Brad Potts.

However, Exeter scored in injury time of each half through a pair of substitutes, with Ollie Watkins netting their first before the break.

Gary Bowyer’s side had dealt with everything asked of them until the final minute, when Reuben Reid headed home at the death to force the draw. 

Exeter began on the front foot and a driven cross by David Wheeler caused problems, but wasn’t converted in the Pool six-yard box. Unfortunately, Robbie Simpson went down in his attempt to strike and was stretchered off with a serious-looking injury. 

However, when the opening goal arrived on 18 minutes Pool fully deserved it. Terrific strength from Jamille Matt teed up Potts, who drove forward and let fly, and although Christy Pym saved the shot, it was palmed into the path of Daniel who couldn’t miss with his tap-in. 

They could have increased their lead soon after, however a brilliant cross by Jordan Flores was nodded wide by Clark Robertson, who’d got himself into a promising position. 

Exeter’s attempts to draw level came through a training ground routine, with a free-kick eventually finding Craig Woodman, whose strike was deflected well wide for a corner kick. 

It was The Seasiders who doubled their lead six minutes before the break, however. Potts was set free down the left, he found Sanmi Odelusi, and after Pym had made a hash of the deflected shot, the midfielder was left to lash into an empty net.

However, they couldn’t carry the two-goal lead into the break. Jack Stacey forced his way past Andy Taylor on the right and his cross was parried into the path of Watkins, who had the simple task of firing home. 

Half-Time: Exeter 1 Blackpool 2

Exeter improved after the break with the ball, but were struggling to hurt The Seasiders. Instead, it was the visitors who came close to the next goal, but Odelusi couldn’t turn home Potts’ brilliant, whipped cross. 

That was the winger’s final action, as moments later he was replaced by debutant Ian Black, with Daniel moving wide. 

The Seasiders were continuing to frustrate their hosts, who had half-hearted penalty appeals turned down from a corner, before Bowyer brought on Mark Cullen and Danny Philliskirk, for Matt and Bright Osayi-Samuel.

With less than ten minutes remaining Reuben Reid broke free and was denied not only once, but twice, by a brilliant piece of goalkeeping by Slocombe.

However, their resistance was finally broken in stoppage time as Watkins swung in a cross and Reid stormed in at the back-post to head home a dramatic equaliser.

Full-Time: Exeter 2 Blackpool 2 

Advertisement block