Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 10/01/2017

10 January 2017

Report: Blackpool 1 Wycombe 1 (4-5 On Pens)

Blackpool bowed out of the Checkatrade Trophy on penalties after playing out a 1-1 draw with Wycombe Wanderers at Bloomfield Road. 

Kelvin Mellor had put Blackpool ahead in the 90 minutes, heading home Mark Yeates’ cross at the back post. Danny Philliskirk wasted a fine opportunity to double the lead when his penalty was kept out by Jamal Blackman, however. 

The visitors levelled from a set piece, as Anthony Stewart hammered home the equaliser at the back post. And they completed the job in the shootout, with Will Aimson missing the decisive penalty after nine perfect kicks. 

After a slow start to affairs at Bloomfield Road, Blackpool took the lead with the first real attempt on goal. Yeates’ first delivery had been comfortably cleared, but the Irishman was on point with his second, picking out the onrushing Mellor to thump a header beyond Blackman. 

Wycombe were almost instantly level however, as a Luke O’Nein exchanged passes with Myles Weston before watching his sweetly-stuck effort cannon off the cross bar. The woodwork was busy early on and denied Pool soon after, as Mellor’s cross deflected on to the post.

The visitors should have been level on 22 minutes as Joe Jacobson’s wicked cross was knocked over the bar by the experienced Paul Hayes. At the other end Danny Pugh picked out Armand Gnanduillet, who brushed off his marker but shot over the bar. 

Wycombe did have the ball in the net on 31 minutes, but Garry Thompson had strayed offside before firing past Sam Slocombe. They should have been further behind however, as Marcus Bean tripped Bright Osayi-Samuel and the referee pointed to the spot. Philliskirk was out of luck however, watching his penalty saved by Blackman.

Mark Cullen tested Blackman before the half was up but was never in danger of scoring, as Pool went in for half-time 1-0 up.

Half-Time: Blackpool 1 Wycombe 0

Jack Redshaw was given his second appearance of the season in the second-half, replacing Cullen for the second 45 minutes. After the break Pool continued to ask questions and Michael Cain’s effort needed smothering at the second attempt. 

Just after the hour-mark Pool were forced into a change, with Mellor hobbling off and being replaced by debutant Seb Des Pres, who signed for the club on Monday.

Wycombe had two chances to level soon after, as Will De Havilland looped a header onto the roof of the net, before Wood squandered a great opportunity, heading over the bar when unmarked.

Then Osayi-Samuel was replaced by Jack Payne for the final 18 minutes. However, it was with their next chance that Wycombe equalised, as Stewart hammered home after a corner was flicked into his path. 

With time running out substitute Adebayo Akinfenwa headed at Slocombe, before Yeates curled a free-kick harmlessly over. So it would go to penalties and after Philliskirk, Cain, Redshaw and Gnanduillet had scored, Aimson was denied by a combination of Blackman and the post, as The Seasiders were knocked out.

Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Wycombe 1 (4-5 On Pens)

Advertisement block