Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 21/01/2017

21 January 2017

Report: Blackpool 2 Yeovil 2

Debutant Nathan Delfouneso inspired Blackpool to twice come from behind to earn a 2-2 draw with Yeovil Town.

The striker, starting his second spell at the club, came off the bench to score in injury time to earn a point, after already cancelling out Yeovil’s lead by teeing up Kelvin Mellor.

Mellor converted Delfouneso’s cross after a fine second half display from The Seasiders.

Yeovil’s two goals came somewhat against the run of play, scoring through former Pool player Francois Zoko and Darren Ward.

Blackpool had a much-changed line-up from their midweek FA Cup heroics, which included a change in formation, reverting to a back four as a plethora of injuries hit the Pool squad. 

Tuesday’s hero Bright Osayi-Samuel started the game, and he forced the game’s first chance. His quick feet and direct running scared the Yeovil defence early, forcing a corner for Blackpool. Jamille Matt found himself free in the area, but could only nod over from his first sight at goal.

At the other end, Will Aimson put his body on the line in front of Slocombe’s goal, blocking an effort from Nathan Smith at the edge of the Blackpool box. Aimson moved inside to join Aldred in the centre of defence following the formation switch, with Clark Robertson shifting to left-back.

Jamaican striker Matt had his second chance of the game midway through the first half. A long, searching ball had the Yeovil defence back-tracking and allowed Matt to race through. Having seen Krysiak off his line, Matt attempted to loop the ball over the out-rushing goalkeeper but unfortunately put too much on the half-volley.

With 10 minutes of the first 45 to play, The Glovers put themselves ahead against the run of play. Ex-Seasider Zoko prodded home the simplest of goals after he latched onto a front-post flick-on from Tom Eaves.

Matt Dolan’s half-volley from 20 yards out was matched by Slocombe late on, with Blackpool’s number one able to parry it wide, however.

Half-time score: Blackpool 0 Yeovil Town 1

The Seasiders were unchanged after the break, and almost levelled it within five minutes of the second half. Overlapping Mellor was played through by Mark Yeates, the full back lashed powerfully at the Yeovil goal but was fired the wrong side of the crossbar for Pool.

With an hour on the clock, to debutants entered for Gary Bowyer’s side. Philliskirk and Yeates left play, with Odelusi and Delfouneso coming on for the first time since their move to Bloomfield Road. 

The latter, Delfouneso, came on the start his second spell on the Fylde Coast and almost opened his account instantly. Skilful play from young Osayi-Samuel teed up the former Aston Villa man, his curling effort spun just past the post, however.

Blackpool, now injected with more pace from the substitutes, started to ramp up the pressure. Centre-back pairing Aldred and Aimson going close from a corner, the former forcing a fine save from the visiting goalkeeper.

Minutes later, Blackpool deservedly equalised. Again new boy Delfouneso involved heavily in the attack, he took on his fullback Liam Shephard and, after showing him a clean pair of heels, fizzed the ball across goal for Mellor to run in and poke home.

As Pool searched for a winner, they were dealt with another blow against the run of play. Glover’s skipper Ward slotted home to regain Yeovil’s lead, after Slocombe was forced to push the ball into the path of the goal scorer.

Yeovil’s Ryan Dickson was stretchered off the field late on, meaning there was nine minutes of extra time for Blackpool to claw their way back into the game.

Blackpool equalised yet again deep into added time and Delfouneso capped off a fine display with a goal, tapping in from less than a yard out after a Danny Pugh free-kick was deflected to the far post.

Full-Time: Blackpool 2 Yeovil 0

By Pete McCarthy

Advertisement block