Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 28/01/2017

28 January 2017

Report: Blackburn 2 Blackpool 0

Blackpool bowed out of the FA Cup after conceding two first-half goals and being reduced to 10 men at Blackburn Rovers.

Sam Gallagher’s header and a stunner from Elliott Bennett sent Rovers into the fifth round and forced Blackpool to focus on their League Two campaign.

Gary Bowyer’s side competed for most of the second period with ten men following Kelvin Mellor’s dismissal for two yellow cards.

Tom Aldred had a goal ruled out and Will Aimson struck the bar, as The Seasiders failed to respond to Blackburn’s early strikes. 

After an uneventful opening, which Blackpool had arguably shaded, the hosts took the lead early on. Jason Lowe’s crossed teased Sam Slocombe off his line, however Gallagher got there first to easily nestle his header into an unguarded net. 

That goal didn’t alter the Blackpool mindset however, and Bright Osayi-Samuel set up Andy Taylor, skipper for the day, to slice wide with his unfavoured right foot.

Osayi-Samuel was looking particularly lively and curled into the arms of Jason Steele soon after, attempting to recreate his dramatic Barnsley strike.

However, the hosts doubled their lead out of nothing 22 minutes in. Bennett was allowed to glide forced and fire into the top corner in brilliant fashion. 

It was tough on Blackpool, who continued to play the right way and came close to pulling one back when Jack Payne’s speculative drive rose a little too much for the top corner. 

And they had the ball in the net on the half-hour mark, but Aldred’s header from a fine Payne delivery was ruled out for offside. 

In first-half injury time they came close again, but Jim McAlister could only glance his header wide from a whipped Taylor delivery. 

Half-Time: Blackburn 2 Blackpool 0

The opening to the second period brought nothing in the way of chances, meaning Gary Bowyer quickly changed his hand, bringing on Sanmi Odelusi and Jamille Matt for Mark Cullen and Osayi-Samuel. 

For Rovers, Craig Conway twice threatened with free-kicks, curling over and into the arms of Slocombe. And Mark Yeates followed onto the pitch soon after in place of Payne. 

However, Pool’s uphill task took another blow just after the hour-mark, as Mellor was shown a second yellow card for a high challenge.

Despite that, they came within inches of reducing the deficit when Aimson met Clark Robertson’s cross, only to watch his header come back off the cross bar.   

The chances were still coming Pool’s way, but Matt’s header from a Yeates corner drifted harmlessly over the bar. And the big striker blazed over with time running out after a good challenge by Odelusi. 

Full-Time: Blackburn 2 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block