Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Plymouth 0 Blackpool 3

7 March 2017

Pool Win On The Road

Blackpool produced their best performance of the season to breathe new life into their play-off aspirations with three points at high-flying Plymouth Argyle.

The visitors were first to every ball, counter attacked with pace and were clinical when the opportunity arose and they moved to within four points of the top seven.

Mark Cullen’s opportunism gave him his second goal in two games, before Brad Potts clinically dispatched the second after great play by Colin Daniel.

Jordan Flores wrapped up the win after the break, thumped home following a Jack Payne long throw to complete a handsome victory at Home Park. 

Blackpool, lining up in a 4-3-3 formation, took the game to their hosts from the off and Clark Robertson headed Andy Taylor’s free-kick just wide early on, with Cullen unable to clear at the back post.

The defender himself had appeals for a penalty turned down soon after, before Ryan Donaldson fired wide Plymouth’s first attempt. 

Daniel was having plenty of joy down the left and his clipped just just evaded Nathan Delfouneso at the back post, but with their next attack took a deserved lead at Home Park.

A terrific switch of play by Jordan Flores was matched by the skill of Delfouneso to take the ball past his man, he had the vision to pick out Potts, whose effort deflected into the path of a gambling Cullen to turn home the opener. 

It was almost two seconds later when Daniel’s whipped effort was deflected just wide, so when the second arrived it was no shock. Brilliant industry by Daniel down the left allowed him to pick out Potts, who blasted home his third goal in four matches. 

The chances kept coming for Pool, who saw Cullen fire over with his left foot, as Blackpool went in for the break with a deserved two-goal lead.

Half-Time: Plymouth 0 Blackpool 2

Despite a double change by the hosts, The Seasiders continued in the same vein after the break and Delfouneso twice had dangerous balls in cause havoc in the Plymouth box.

And the game was settled as early as the 62nd minutes, as a long throw by Payne eventually fell into the path of Flores, who reacted quickest and thumped home an effort which was too hot for Luke McCormick to handle.

71 minutes in Daniel, who’d been brilliant, was replaced by Bright Osayi-Samuel, before Jamille Matt followed in place of Cullen soon after.

Substitute Osayi-Samuel came close after being slipped in by Matt, before penalty appeals for a pull on the winger fell on deaf ears. 

Testimony to the job Blackpool did, Plymouth’s first shot on target arrived with one minutes to go, when David Fox forced Lyness into a comfortable save, and with that the win was sealed with a clean sheet.

Full-Time: Plymouth 0 Blackpool 3

Advertisement block