Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 0 Blackpool 0

11 March 2017

Report: Wycombe 0 Blackpool 0

Blackpool picked up a solid point at Wycombe Wanderers but it should have been all three, after Jamal Blackman kept out Brad Potts’ penalty three minutes from time.

Substitute Jamille Matt was hauled down in the area, but Potts couldn’t convert, nevertheless The Seasiders moved a point closer to the play-offs.

The midfielder was denied by a fine save from the goalkeeper moments after the break, while Dean Lyness was left relatively untested.

The Wycombe approach was clear in the opening stages, as Adebayo Akinfenwa hustled Tom Aldred off the ball, before snatching at his effort and volleying wide. 

Blackpool were comfortably dealing with Wycombe striker aside from that however, and could have led themselves on 18 minutes when Jack Payne flicked Andy Taylor’s cross just wide.

They came even closer with the next break away, but after Mark Cullen set Potts free, the midfielder’s cross had Blackman scrambling and came back off the angle of post and bar.

Payne was the next man to try his luck, but his right-footed volley flew harmlessly wide of the target, before Cullen raced into space but lacked quality in his final pass to Potts when inside the box.

Three minutes before the break Dean Lyness made his first save of the contest, getting down low to get a firm hand to Paris Cowan-Hall’s powerful effort.

Half-Time: Wycombe 0 Blackpool 0

After the break Nathan Delfouneso was instantly on the front foot, he ran at his man and his cross was on the money for Potts, whose effort was clawed away to safety just about by Blackman.

As for Wycombe, Akinfenwa headed Joe Jacobson’s free-kick over the bar, while at the other end another strong run by Delfouneso set up the next chance, but the striker cut onto his right foot and was blocked off by Aaron Pierre.

11 minutes before time Gary Bowyer brought on Neil Danns and Matt for Jordan Flores and Cullen.

And striker Matt was involved in the major talking point, outmuscling Max Muller and being pulled down by the defender in the area, forcing the referee to point to the penalty spot.

Potts, in such good form of late, stepped up, but his penalty was pushed away by Blackman to ensure the game finished in stalemate.

Full-Time: Wycombe 0 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block