Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team Beaten By Wigan

5 March 2017

Donnelly's Side Lose 2-0

Two early goals left the youth team shell-shocked as they succumbed to a 2-0 loss against Wigan at Christopher Park.

The home side struck twice within the opening 10 minutes of the game and comfortably saw out the victory.

Just three minutes into the tie, some sloppy defending proved to be fatal as Tom Powell won the ball high up the pitch and finished into the bottom corner to give The Latics the lead.

The reigning league champions doubled their lead just minutes later through Luke Burgess’ long-range strike that went in off the post.

After the opening period, the game settled down with neither side able to create any clear-cut chances until shortly after the half-hour mark.

Powell raced through the Blackpool defence and rounded Jack Sims but the Wigan forward fired wide from a tight angle.

Half-Time: Wigan 2 Blackpool 0 

Ciaran Donnelly introduced three substitutes at half-time including Nathan Shaw, who came on to make his debut for the Under-18s side.

The Seasiders were marginally better in the second-half, with Rowan Roache forcing Theo Roberts into three good saves in the space of 10 minutes.

The first save was a powerful shot from the edge of the box that the goalkeeper palmed away, before the striker fired a free-kick towards goal that Roberts tipped over the crossbar. The third effort was a low strike that the Wigan goalkeeper turned around his post.

At the other end, Powell ran through on goal but was denied by Sims when one-on-one with the Blackpool shot-stopper.

Roache came close again when he hit the crossbar from a tight angle but he couldn’t find a consolation goal for his side.

The loss means that The Seasiders remain seven points clear at the top of the table due to second-placed Walsall having their fixture postponed this weekend. However, The Saddlers could overtake them if they win their three games in hand.

Full-Time: Wigan 2 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block