Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 4 Middlesbrough U21s 1

Seasiders Secure Passage To Next Round of Checkatrade Trophy

1 November 2017

A brace from Danny Philliskirk helped Blackpool secure a place in the next round of the Checkatrade Trophy with a 4-1 victory against Middlesbrough U21s.

The forward, who scored in both halves, was joined on the score-sheet by Sean Longstaff and Sessi D’Almeida.

Former youth team captain Caleb Richards, having recently returned from a loan spell with Warrington Town, was one of eight changes to the Blackpool side.

It was Middlesbrough who had the best opportunity in the opening stages of the game, forcing Richards to clear a strike from Lewis Wing off the line.

However, it was Blackpool who tuck the lead in the fixture after 24 minutes, as Danny Philliskirk latched on to a great delivery from Richards to head in.

Curtis Tilt then had a really good chance to double Blackpool’s advantage but fired wide under pressure from Luke Armstrong.

The Seasiders did increase their lead prior to half-time though, as Sean Longstaff found the bottom corner with a fantastic drive from 22-yards out.

Half-Time: Blackpool 2 Middlesbrough U21s 0

The visitors pulled a goal back shortly after the interval, with a loose pass from Ben Williams eventually leading to Luke Armstrong finding the net.

Blackpool hit back almost immediately though, Sessi D’Almeida opening his account for the club with a powerful drive from 25-yards that found the top corner.

At the other end, Williams did well to get across his goal and push away a free-kick from Ben Liddle to preserve Blackpool’s two-goal cushion.

Caleb Richards, who was having a fine game for The Seasiders, was then required to clear off the line for the second time, this time to deny Armstrong.

It was a much-improved second-half display from Boro, who went close again through George Miller and also saw an attack break down thanks to a great cover tackle from Nick Anderton.

The Seasiders, in an attempt to keep the pressure on at the other end, brought Jay Spearing and Armand Gnanduillet on for the final 15 minutes.

A fourth goal did come for Blackpool but it didn’t involve either player. Instead it was Danny Philliskirk who converted Andy Taylor’s cross to score his second of the night.

Full-Time: Blackpool 4 Middlesbrough U21s 1   


Advertisement block