Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood Town 0 Blackpool 0

Stalemate At Highbury

25 November 2017

Blackpool stretched their unbeaten run in Sky Bet League One to three matches after a goal-less draw at Fleetwood Town

In a game of few clear-cut chances, it was The Seasiders who came closest to finding the breakthrough, with Sean Longstaff denied by a good save from Alex Cairns in the first-half. 

In what was just the third league meeting between the two Fylde Coast sides, Gary Bowyer made just one change from The Seasiders’ draw with Gillingham. The Gaffer brought in skipper Jimmy Ryan into the midfield to replace Callum Cooke. Fittingly, Blackpool’s captain returned to the starting 11 at his former stomping ground as he made 59 appearances for the home side before joining Pool in the summer.

Fleetwood, meanwhile, made five changes from their away loss to Walsall in midweek, which included bringing top scorer Devante Cole back into the leading line.

Blackpool started the game, kicking towards the boisterous travelling support and mustered the first meaningful attack. Sean Longstaff broke from midfield and into the penalty area, finding Ollie Turton on the opposite side with a drilled ball across goal. Unfortunately, though, the fullback couldn’t make a clean connection with the cross.

In truth, chances were few and far between in the early stages as both defences looked solid. Ashley Eastham did challenge the Pool goal somewhat, though, midway through the first 45. He headed over from a corner after rising highest.

Kyle Vassell then broke free as the game began to open up towards the closing stages of the first half. He found Viv Soloman-Otobor and Pool won a corner. The ball eventually found its way to Ryan, who tested his luck from 30 yards. Alex Cairns was there to make the save, however.

The best chance of the half came just five minutes before the referee’s whistle, yet again Longstaff broke free from midfield. He went one-on-one with the ‘keeper after being sent through but Cairns was on-hand to save from close range.

On his 29th birthday, Jay Spearing was unfortunate not to have even more reason to celebrate before the teams went into the dressing room. He fizzed the ball just wide with his left foot in the final attack of the half.

Half-time: Fleetwood Town 0 Blackpool 0

The game failed to spark into life in the second 45, but the home side did start to pressure Pool’s defence with 15 minutes to go. Will Aimson was called upon at the back post with a goal-saving header, denying the waiting Cian Bolger a big opportunity.

The Seasiders lost both Kyle Vassell and Curtis Tilt to injury at different stages and ended the match with Nathan Delfouneso up-front and Kelvin Mellor at centre-back.

Blackpool’s biggest goal threat in the game was undoubtedly the on-loan Newcastle man, Longstaff. This time he let go a right-footed shot across the ‘keeper but Cairns was once again there to deny the midfielder his fifth goal of the campaign.

With a minute left to play, both sides began to push for the elusive winner. First Wes Burns break almost punished Pool on the counter-attack, drilling the ball just wide of Ryan Allsop’s goal. Then, a set-piece troubled the Cod Army’s defence before eventually being cleared.

Neither side could find the elusive breakthrough, though.

Full-time: Fleetwood Town 0 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block