Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Under-18s Out of Youth Alliance Cup

Youth Team Narrowly Defeated By Tranmere

8 October 2017

The under-18s are out of the Youth Alliance Cup after a narrow defeat away at Tranmere, along with other results not going their way.

Both sides had four points in the group stages of the Youth Alliance Cup before the match, with the winner assured of a place in the next stage of the competition.

The game started in a frantic manner, with neither side able to get on the ball for sustained periods of time in the first ten minutes.

Blackpool had the first few chances, with Dylan Sumner firing wide from the edge of the area, and Fin Sinclair-Smith being denied by the Tranmere goalkeeper’s foot.

Bayleigh Passant, the Tranmere ‘keeper, then made a terrific save to keep the scores level. Good play from Will Dunne and Nathan Shaw set up Fin Sinclair-Smith, but Passant reached up to tip his volley over the crossbar.

Passant continued to frustrate Blackpool up to the half-time whistle, with both Rowan Roache and Sinclair-Smith having chances saved. The Tranmere ‘keeper then pulled off an amazing triple save to keep the scores level just before the break.

Harvey Simson was also called into action late on in the first-half, as he got down low to stop Ethan Devine’s effort from beating him.

Tranmere then applied the pressure straight from the off in the second half, having a lot of joy down their left-hand side. James Salkeld got through a couple of times, but Blackpool defenders were able to stop him on both occasions.

Blackpool then made the first change of the game, with Ewan Bange coming on for Sean Graham, and the tall striker nearly made an immediate impact, setting up Will Dunne but his shot went straight to Passant in the Tranmere net.

The visitors had a great chance to take the lead when Rowan Roache managed to dink a smart little ball through to Fin Sinclair-Smith, but his right-footed effort went just wide of the far post.

Ewan Bange then had a diving header saved by Passant, who was then injured in the next passage of play, after a shot came in from Will Dunne from a tight angle.

Passant eventually went off, but only after the hosts had taken the lead against the run of play. Josh Solomon-Davies cut in from the right, and the full back smashed a left-footed effort into the far corner, with nothing Harvey Simson could do about it.

With just moments remaining in the match, Dylan Sumner tried to spur Blackpool on. First, his shot from the edge of the area was saved by substitute ‘keeper Patrick Wharton, before his ball across from the byline evaded everybody.

However, the full-time whistle went before The Seasiders could get an equaliser, meaning they had to wait for results elsewhere in the hope they would qualify, but it wasn't to be.

Full-Time: Tranmere Rovers 1 Blackpool 0

Team: Simson; Avon, Jacobson (c), Williams; Shaw, Wainwright, Sumner, Graham; Sinclair-Smith; Dunne, Roache

Subs: O’Brien, Thordarson, Maddox, Flynn, Bange

Advertisement block