Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Scunthorpe United 0 Blackpool 0

Another Point On The Road

9 September 2017

Blackpool made it five games unbeaten in Sky Bet League One after playing out a goal-less draw at Scunthorpe United.

It was a real disciplined performance from The Seasiders and a result that will no doubt please manager Gary Bowyer, despite his side having as many clear-cut opportunities as the home side to break the deadlock.  

Bowyer was forced to make two changes to the team that recorded a 1-0 victory against AFC Wimbledon last time out, with Sean Longstaff and Nathan Delfouneso missing out due to injury and illness, respectively. It meant first league starts of the season for Kelvin Mellor and summer signing Sessi D’Almeida.  

The Seasiders started the game well and had the first clear opportunity of the game inside nine minutes, as Kyle Vassell found D’Almeida inside the box but the midfielder could only drill wide from a tight angle.

The patient build-up from the visitors continued and almost resulted in an opening goal with 25 minutes on the clock. Callum Cooke slipped in Curtis Tilt down the left and the defenders cross just evaded the stretching Vassell, who looked set for a tap-in.

A free-kick conceded by Colin Daniel at the other end posed danger given the goal-record of Scunthorpe’s Josh Morris, however the former Blackburn Rovers man struck the wall.  

Ryan Allsop was called into action after 35 minutes when he was forced to tip over a looping header from Paddy Madden, while Hakeeb Adelakun watched his effort fly past the top corner and fall wide a minute later.

At the other end, Viv Solomon-Otabor did well to beat his man and force a fine save out of Matt Gilks.

As the first-half came to a close the home side had two further opportunities to take the lead. Defender Rory McArdle fired wide after latching on to a flick-on from Madden, while Allsop denied Adelakun.

Half-Time: Scunthorpe United 0 Blackpool 0

The home side started the second-half looking to pin Blackpool back in their own half, though the first chance following the restart fell to Blackpool’s Kyle Vassell. The striker was fouled by Neal Bishop and then drilled a low effort just wide from the resulting free-kick.

Scunthorpe fans were up off their seats expecting a goal when Murray Wallace tried an over-head kick from a corner, however the ball dropped wide and failed to trouble Allsop.

Wallace then went into the book for a foul on D’Almedia just outside the box. Jimmy Ryan took the free-kick this time and watched his strike be turned over the bar by Gilks.

The game remained finely balanced, though quick feet from Solomon-Otabor almost broke the deadlock but, despite getting round his man, the winger was denied by Gilks.

A near post run from substitute Lee Novak threatened late on, but the striker headed just wide.

Full-Time: Scunthorpe United 0 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block