Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team Pegged Back In Youth Alliance Cup Match

Dunne On Target In 2-2 Draw With Chesterfield

17 September 2017

Blackpool’s Under-18s were held to a draw at home to Chesterfield in the group stage of the Youth Alliance Cup, despite being two goals to the good at the break.

Will Dunne got both goals early on for The Seasiders, but the hosts could not take any of their chances for the rest of the match.

Chesterfield had the first opportunity of the game, but Blackpool quickly kicked into gear and started playing some good football.

The hosts took the lead after just six minutes, when the ball was played in to Will Dunne in the Chesterfield penalty area, whose turn and shot flew past the goalkeeper to make it 1-0.

Just eight minutes later, Dunne doubled the lead. A Blackpool counter-attack saw Fin Sinclair-Smith’s effort saved by the Chesterfield ‘keeper, but Dunne was there to tap the ball home from six yards out.

The striker then had a chance to score his third of the game inside the opening 20 minutes but, this time, Marris in the Chesterfield net was able to make the save.

The Seasiders had the ball in the back of the net again soon after, but it was disallowed due to an earlier offside call. They maintained the pressure until the half hour mark, when the visitors started to come back into the game.

The Spireites took charge of the final period of the first-half, but were unable to get a goal, despite some good chances.

The final few minutes also saw Dylan Sumner get booked for an altercation with a Chesterfield man, who also saw yellow for his role in the incident.

Being down 2-0 at half-time, Chesterfield made three changes, but Blackpool came out stronger to start the second stanza.

Fin Sinclair-Smith, Blackpool’s top scorer this season, had a couple of chances early on, but was unable to find the target with either attempt.

The hour mark saw the turnaround, with Chesterfield grabbing a goal back after a goalmouth scramble. The assistant referee on the nearside gave the goal - as it crossed the line before it was cleared away by a Blackpool defender.

Just five minutes later, the comeback was complete. Chesterfield striker Russ got the goal, with a coolly slotted finish past Thordarson in the Blackpool goal.

Blackpool applied pressure in the final few minutes, but were unable to get any real shots off, and the game finished 2-2.

Team: Thordarson, Williams, Avon, Jacobson (c), McGladdery, Shaw (Steele 75’), Flynn (O’Brien 71’), Sumner, Fin Sinclair-Smith, Roache, Dunne (Jaaskelainen 81’)

Advertisement block