Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 1 Shrewsbury Town 1

Delfouneso On Target In Draw

28 April 2018

Nathan Delfouneso’s fifth goal in as many games saw Blackpool come back from behind to draw 1-1 with Shrewsbury Town.

The forward found the net 11 minutes in to the second-half, though he had to wait for it to be awarded, with the referee eventually over-ruling the linesman’s decision to give the goal.

The visitors, confirmed to be in the play-offs, had earlier took the lead courtesy of long-range strike from Sam Jones.

Manager Gary Bowyer had initially made just the one change for the game, with Christoffer Mafoumbi stepping up following the departure of Joe Lumley. However, Kyle Vassell later pulled up in the warm-up and was replaced by Armand Gnanduillet.

Blackpool dominated the early possession without really creating anything too clear-cut. The best chance came when Armand Gnanduillet raced clear down the left before seeing his shot blocked. Nathan Delfouneso aimed to follow it up but fired over the bar.

Despite barely seeing the ball in Blackpool’s half, it was Shrewsbury who took the lead in the 20th minute. Sam Jones caught Christoffer Mafoumbi by surprise with a shot from 22-yards out and found the corner, despite the ‘keeper getting a hand to it.

The Seasiders had an opportunity to respond when the ball fell kindly for Colin Daniel in the area, though he was denied by Craig MacGillivray.

Armand Gnanduillet then had a great chance to find the leveller just before the interval, however he dragged his effort just wide after good play from Sean Longstaff.

Nathan Delfouneso also headed a Jimmy Ryan free-kick over the bar in first-half stoppage time.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Shrewsbury Town 1

The Seasiders continued to see more of the ball after the restart but watched a few strikes blocked, while Jimmy Ryan was denied by another good save from MacGillivray.

Blackpool finally got the equaliser in the 56th minute, courtesy of Nathan Delfouneso. As the forward celebrated, the linesman put his flag up and appeared to rule the effort out. However, after some deliberation, the referee awarded the goal.

Shrewsbury almost went back in-front immediately when Sam Jones fired over from a knock-down.

Pool skipper Jimmy Ryan saw a second strike kept out by the Shrewsbury ‘keeper, while Gnanduillet won another battle in the air only to head over.

Kelvin Mellor was introduced for Blackpool with seven minutes of the game remaining. Goalscorer Nathan Delfouneso was the man to go off. Armand Gnanduillet then hobbled off, which resulted in Mark Cullen entering the field of play.

It was Mellor who came closest to scoring a winner for Blackpool, but he unfortunately saw his header come back off the post.

Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Shrewsbury Town 1



Advertisement block