Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 2 Fleetwood Town 1

Gnanduillet Heads Late Winner To Cap Off Turnaround

14 April 2018

A dramatic 94th minute winner from Armand Gnanduillet capped off an incredible late show from Blackpool to beat Fleetwood Town 2-1.

A goal down with two minutes of normal time to play, Viv Solomon-Otabor found the net to equalise, before Gnanduillet stole the show with a thumping header.  

Manager Gary Bowyer made the one change from Blackpool’s midweek victory against Northampton Town, with Kyle Vassell returning in place of Armand Gnanduillet.

It was a competitive start to the fixture, with most of the play being battled out in midfield. The first opportunity on goal was registered by Fleetwood’s Conor McAleny, who fired straight at Joe Lumley. At the other end, Kyle Vassell was unable to divert Ollie Turton’s cross on target.

Blackpool were then denied by the woodwork in the 25th minute, when Jay Spearing’s 30-yard drive cannoned back off the outside of the post.

The booking of Gethin Jones for a foul on Nathan Delfouneso provided a good opportunity for The Seasiders to push everybody forward for the free-kick. Skipper Jimmy Ryan delivered it straight across the six-yard box, however nobody was able to get a decisive touch on the ball.

Sean Longstaff had a chance from his usual distance in first-half stoppage time but was unable to fully test Alex Cairns.  

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Fleetwood Town 0

It was Longstaff who had Blackpool first opportunity of the second-half, firing straight at Cairns after a good run down the middle from Viv Solomon-Otabor.

Moments later, the winger almost connected with a ball clipped to the back post by Nathan Delfouneso, though it just evaded him.

Jimmy Ryan came close to breaking the deadlock against his former club when he spotted Alex Cairns out of position for a free-kick. The skipper’s effort was fumbled by the ‘keeper and then quickly cleared away.

That chance soon led to a breakaway down the right for Fleetwood, which saw substitute Wes Burns beat the racing Joe Lumley to the ball. Luckily the Blackpool defence covered for the ‘keeper and blocked the shot that came in.

Fleetwood made their final substitutions of the game in the 67th minute, when Jordy Hiwula and Bobby Grant replaced Paddy Madden and Conro McAleny.

It was Ash Hunter who had the next opportunity for the visitors though, forcing Joe Lumley to push his strike wide at full stretch.

Moments later, Fleetwood opened the scoring. Colin Daniel misjudged the flight of the ball and that allowed Jordy Hiwula to race clear. The substitute rounded Joe Lumley and struck the post, before fellow sub Wes Burns followed up on the rebound.

Burns almost found the net again three minutes after, however his strike flew wide of the far post. It prompted Blackpool to make a double substitution, with Mark Cullen and Armand Gnanduillet replacing Kyle Vassell and Sean Longstaff.

It was Viv Solomon-Otabor who scored the equaliser though. The on-loan Birmingham City winger volleyed into the top corner in the 88th minute.

The drama didn’t end there, as Armand Gnanduillet met Dolly Menga’s cross to score the winner.

Full-Time: Blackpool 2 Fleetwood Town 1


Advertisement block