Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Oldham Athletic 2 Blackpool 1

Latics Come Back From Behind To Take All Three Points

2 April 2018

Second-half goals from Jack Byrne and Eoin Doyle saw Oldham Athletic come back from behind to beat Blackpool 2-1 at Boundary Park.

Substitute Byrne stepped off the bench to cancel out Kyle Vassell’s first-half strike, before Eoin Doyle was left unmarked to head in a winner in the 85th minute.

Manager Gary Bowyer made four changes for the game, with Callum Cooke, Viv Solomon-Otabor, Danny Philliskirk and Kyle Vassell coming back into the side. There was also a welcome return for Mark Cullen on the bench.

It was the home side who started the game on the front foot and registered the first attempts on goal. The best of those fell to Eoin Doyle in the sixth minute after Clark Robertson had sliced a near post clearance, however the striker was unable to fully test Joe Lumley.

Jimmy Ryan was presented with a free-kick opportunity when Callum Cooke was pulled back 25-yards-out, though the skipper curled his attempt wide.

Joe Lumley reacted quickly after spilling a strike from Duckens Nazon in the 15th minute to deny Eoin Doyle from close range, while a minute later Kyle Vassell’s strike at the other end was pushed clear of danger.

Eoin Doyle continued to play right on the shoulder for the home side and had a glaring opportunity to score inside the six-yard box. Luckily he couldn’t shift his feet quickly to control the cross into the Blackpool box and fired over.

The Seasiders continued to plug away in the forward areas and made the breakthrough in the 37th minute. Kyle Vassell’s made a near post run to meet a cross from Colin Daniel and fire in his 10th goal of the season.

Half-Time: Oldham Athletic 0 Blackpool 1

The home side almost levelled matters immediately after the restart when Eoin Doyle was left unmarked in the box. Fortunately, the striker sent his glancing header over the bar.

Kyle Vassell made himself some room to shoot from 20-yards out at the other end but saw his strike saved by Johny Placide.

A substitution by Oldham quickly paid dividends with an equaliser, as Jack Byrne found the top corner from just inside the box.

Blackpool’s first change followed in the 70th minute, with Sean Longstaff replacing Callum Cooke. Armand Gnanduillet then joined him on the pitch as a substitute for Kyle Vassell.

The final 15 minutes was becoming a war of attrition on the Boundary Park surface due constant downpours and tired legs on both sides.

One of the fresher players, Jack Byrne, almost grabbed a second for Oldham after a bit of quick movement on the edge of the box. He eventually fired off target.

The Latics did find the target in the 85th minute, though, when Eoin Doyle was left unmarked from a corner to head in from six-yards out.

That goal prompted the return of Mark Cullen following an injury absence since August, with the striker given the closing stages of the encounter to try and help the team find a leveller.

The Seasiders continued to pump the ball forward in an attempt to find that equaliser but Richie Wellens’ side held on for the victory.

Full-Time: Oldham Athletic 2 Blackpool 1

Advertisement block