Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 1 Accrington Stanley 1

Late Equaliser Cancels Out Delfouneso Strike

25 August 2018

An injury-time header from Mark Hughes denied Blackpool a second consecutive victory at Bloomfield Road, as The Seasiders were left to settle for a point.

The defender nodded in from a corner with 93 minutes on the clock to cancel out an earlier strike from Nathan Delfouneso.

Interim manager Terry McPhillips made three changes from the midweek win at home to Coventry City, with Paudie O’Connor, Ben Heneghan and Nathan Delfouneso all starting. New signing Liam Feeney was named amongst the substitutes.

A great free-kick delivery from Jordan Thompson led to Blackpool registering their first attempt on target in the 12th minute. It was Nathan Delfouneso who connected with the ball, yet his header was tipped over by Stanley ‘keeper Connor Ripley.

At the other end, Sean McConville tested Mark Howard with a free-kick but the ‘keeper got across well to deny him.

Ross Sykes was about to wheel away in celebration as the half-hour mark approached, having received a glorious chance to head in from six-yards out. Somehow Ben Heneghan scampered across to deflect the ball over the bar, though.

Jordan Thompson looked to create himself some space to shoot for Blackpool from 25-yards out, however his effort was claimed by Connor Ripley.

The Stanley ‘keeper was at it again moments later, making himself big in goal to parry away a strike from Nathan Delfouneso. From the next phase of play, Joe Dodoo blazed over the bar.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Accrington Stanley 0

After a lack of action straight after the interval, Michael Nottingham came closest to breaking the deadlock in the 57 minute. The former Salford City man got on the end of a Jordan Thompson corner, only to glance wide from six-yards out.

The Seasiders were getting stronger foothold on the game now and saw an Ollie Turton strike deflect into the hands of the Stanley ‘keeper.

Jay Spearing was next to try his luck, volleying narrowly wide from the edge of the area.

Joe Dodoo and Nathan Delfouneso were then denied, prior to the latter finally breaking the deadlock and making Blackpool’s superiority count. The forward latched on to a knockdown to smash the ball in from six-yards out.

Pool made a double substitution soon after, introducing debutant Liam Feeney and former Accrington man John O’Sullivan for Mark Cullen and Marc Bola.

It was goalkeeper Mark Howard who made a huge impact though, denying the visitors an equaliser with a superb double save. First he saved from substitute Offrande Zanzala and then he got up quickly to prevent Sean McConville from scoring the rebound.

Blackpool then made their third and final substitution as Armand Gnanduillet replaced Joe Dodoo.

In the meantime, the visitors continued to push for an equaliser and almost got it. Winger Jordan Clark connected with a cross into the box, only to see his header cannon back off the post.

It was backs to the wall stuff for Blackpool, who had to manage the game well in the closing stages. Five minutes of additional time went up on the board, but Accrington equalised through Mark Hughes.

Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Accrington Stanley 1

Advertisement block