Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 1 Portsmouth 2

Curtis Double Sees Visitors Take Three Points

11 August 2018

A brace from Ronan Curtis saw Portsmouth record a 2-1 victory against Blackpool at Bloomfield Road, despite a late push from The Seasiders.

Curtis scored in either half to give the visitors a two-goal advantage, however Mark Cullen’s late reply saw the home side rally. A 94th minute effort was also ruled out for offside.

Interim manager Terry McPhillips made just the one change for the game, with Marc Bola handed his debut in place of Michael Nottingham.

Blackpool made a bright start to the game, striking the woodwork inside the opening minute. Joe Bunney flashed a shot across goal that Joe Dodoo diverted onto the post.

Portsmouth’s first opportunity fell to Oli Hawkins, however he nodded a floated ball in from Gareth Evens wide of the far post.

It was the visitors who took the lead soon after, with Ronan Curtis making the most of some indecision at the back to fire past Mark Howard.

Content to retain possession, Portsmouth continued to look the more attacking threat and saw Gareth Evans flash a drive wide.

Ronan Curtis, the man who scored Pompey’s opener, looked to find the back of the net once again on the half-hour mark, though his strike was quickly blocked by Ben Heneghan.

Curtis went even closer minutes later, this time seeing his low drive cannon back off the post.

A surging run from Harry Pritchard saw him try his luck from 25-yards for Blackpool, but his attempt was straight at the ‘keeper.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Portsmouth 1

The second-half started with Pompey skipper Gareth Evans seeing yellow for clattering Chris Taylor when challenging for the ball.

With The Seasiders looking for an equaliser, Nathan Delfouneso sent a near post header into the side netting, while Joe Bunney’s strike from distance was saved comfortably.

A great ball across the six-yard box from Marc Bola went begging for Blackpool, prior to Portsmouth scoring a second.

The visitors increased their advantage through the lively Ronan Curtis, who out-muscled Ben Heneghan for the ball before firing past Mark Howard.

That goal resulted in a double substitution for Blackpool, with Mark Cullen and John O’Sullivan replacing Joe Dodoo and Harry Pritchard.

Another Bunney strike from range was inches away from finding the net, as Blackpool tried to find a way back into the encounter.

At the other end, Oli Hawkins almost made it three for Portsmouth with a flick at the near post.

Blackpool finally grabbed a lifeline through Mark Cullen in the 82nd minute. The striker tussled for the ball with Jack Whatmough and managed to lift the ball over the Portsmouth ‘keeper to score.

Chris Taylor had an opportunity from a free-kick with time ticking away to find an equaliser, however his curling effort fell wide.

In the final minute of added time Mark Cullen thought he’d scored the equaliser, though the linesman quickly flagged for an offside decision.

Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Portsmouth 2

Advertisement block