Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 3 Barnsley 1

Seasiders Book Place In Second Round of the Carabao Cup

14 August 2018

Michael Nottingham and Harry Pritchard scored their first ever professional goals to help Blackpool come back from behind and beat Barnsley 3-1 in the first round of the Carabao Cup.

The pair, both signed from non-league in the summer, scored within minutes of each other in the second-half to cancel out a first-half volley from George Moncur for the visitors. It was then left to Armand Gnanduillet to add a third with a powerful free-kick.

Interim manager Terry McPhillips made eight changes for the tie, with Donervon Daniels making his second debut for the club and Jordan Thompson and John O’Sullivan making their first starts in tangerine.  

Blackpool’s first big opportunity fell to John O’Sullivan, who dragged wide of the far post after being slipped in by Mark Cullen.

The visitors fired two efforts straight at Mark Howard, one coming from George Moncur and the other from Daniel Pinillos.

Jordan Thompson was the next to try his luck for Blackpool, sending a drive wide of the top corner.

It was Barnsley who broke the deadlock though in spectacular fashion, as George Moncur volleyed in from the edge of the area.

Mark Cullen, at full stretch, was unable to firmly test Barnsley’s Jack Walton when in search of a reply for Blackpool, while some great defending from Curtis Tilt denied Cameron McGeehan from doubling The Tykes’ advantage.

George Moncur, the scorer of the opener, tried to test Mark Howard again with another strike, however this time the ‘keeper parried his effort away from danger.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Barnsley 1

Blackpool found themselves back level five minutes after the restart. Mark Cullen was denied near the line, he then struck the crossbar before watching Michael Nottingham rifle in the rebound.

The visitors probably should have restored their advantage soon after, however Victor Adeboyejo was denied by Mark Howard when clean through.

Adeboyejo was soon made to pay for not taking the opportunity, as Blackpool turned the tie on its head. Harry Pritchard received the ball out on the left and found the top corner with a great strike from the edge of the area.

Mark Cullen left the field to a great reception just after the hour mark, with Nathan Delfouneso the man to take his place for the final half hour. Meanwhile, former Seasider Brad Potts was introduced for Barnsley.

Delfouneso had a good opportunity to increase Blackpool’s advantage when he headed wide Jordan Thompson’s free-kick, before seeing another effort deflect over the bar.

Barnsley ‘keeper Jack Walton handled outside of his area with 10 minutes of the game to go, and that allowed Armand Gnanduillet to step up from the resulting free-kick and blast the ball into the back of the net.

Nathan Delfouneso had a late opportunity to make it 4-1, however the forward was denied by Walton.

Full-Time: Blackpool 3 Barnsley 1

Advertisement block