Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 2 Charlton Athletic 1

Delfouneso Strikes Late On To Secure Victory

8 December 2018

Nathan Delfouneso’s late winner saw Blackpool pick up a valuable three points with a 2-1 victory against Charlton Athletic.

The forward stepped off the bench to put Pool back in front in the 87th minute against their play-off chasing rivals, who had earlier cancelled out Armand Gnanduillet’s opener.

The Seasiders went into the game without captain Jay Spearing, however Ollie Turton returned from injury and joined Liam Feeney in the side.

It was the visitors who initially looked the more threatening, with Lyle Taylor forcing Mark Howard into action inside four minutes. The Pool ‘keeper got across goal to push away a powerful strike from the former AFC Wimbledon man.

At the other end, Ben Heneghan did well to meet a corner delivery at the back post, only to see his header back across the six-yard box go without reward.

Joe Dodoo, who received his Player and Goal of the Month awards for November prior to kick-off, did well to control the ball before unfortunately firing over on the turn.

Just five minutes later, Blackpool had the lead. Liam Feeney, operating in the position of right wing-back, put the Charlton defence on the back foot and drilled the ball across the six-yard box for Armand Gnanduillet to tap in.

The Frenchman, now on eight for the season, was one of two players who then felt aggrieved not to have been awarded a penalty for a tug back, while Joe Dodoo also looked towards the officials after being tackled in the area. The referee waved away both appeals.

As the half-hour mark passed, Dodoo was played into space by Jordan Thompson, he shimmied past a defender and saw ‘keeper Jed Steer get a fingertip to his strike to turn it behind.

A great bit of positioning from Donervon Daniels preserved Blackpool’s advantage in the 37th minute, when Karlan Grant had looked set to fire in a leveller for the visitors. The Blackpool defender made a vital block near the line after a George Lapslie strike had initially come back off the post.

The Seasiders then came ever so close to doubling their advantage, as Curtis Tilt’s header was pushed away by Jed Steer in the Charlton net.  

Half-Time: Blackpool 1 Charlton Athletic 0

Heavy downpours from the interval onwards meant that conditions were extremely wet and windy for the second-half, though that didn’t prevent Charlton from equalising 10 minutes in.

Karlan Grant did well down the right and his dangerous ball across the six-yard box was prodded in by Joe Aribo.

Blackpool then lost Curtis Tilt to injury on the hour mark, so on-loan Leeds United defender Paudie O’Connor came on the replace him in the back three.

A second change soon followed for The Seasiders, though this one was tactical, as Callum Guy made his return from injury in place of Chris Taylor.

Space was now opening up as both sides pushed to take the lead, offering opportunities on the counter attack. A well-timed interception from Donervon Daniels prevented Lyle Taylor from being left unmarked to receive the ball eight-yards out from goal.

Blackpool’s final throw of the dice was to introduce Nathan Delfouneso off the bench, with the forward replacing Joe Dodoo.

It was the visitors who continued to look the more dangerous though, as Karlan Grant fizzed an effort just wide of the far post.

Fast becoming a war of attrition in tough conditions, Donervon Daniels went close with a strike from 20-yards, before Blackpool regained their advantage.

The match-winning goal came courtesy of substitute Nathan Delfouneso who shrugged off the attentions of a defender to fire into the bottom, far corner.

After four minutes of additional time, The Seasiders saw out the result to move level on points with The Addicks.

Full-Time: Blackpool 2 Charlton Athletic 1 

Advertisement block