Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 1 Peterborough United 1

Delfouneso On Target With Equaliser

18 February 2018

Nathan Delfouneso’s equaliser saw Blackpool draw 1-1 with Peterborough United at Bloomfield Road.

The forward bundled home a cross from Viv Solomon-Otabor in first-half added time to cancel out Jack Marriott’s opener for the hosts.  

Manager Gary Bowyer stuck with the same side that was victorious at Wigan Athletic in midweek, while the bench was also unchanged.

It was the visitors who registered the first attempt of the afternoon, with Michael Doughty seeing his looping volley deflect wide.

Doughty then caught another sight on goal moments later, however Joe Lumley read the strike well and got down to save it.

Jimmy Ryan was picking up plenty of space for Blackpool and was doing his best to exert a creative influence. A great run from the middle of the park helped tee up Sean Longstaff for an attempt from distance, though Jonathan Bond saved it comfortably.

Another fantastic run, this time from Solomon-Otabor, deserved so much more. The winger dribbled past two Peterborough defenders down the left and found Delfouneso in the box, however the forward’s lay-off to Longstaff was poor.

The Seasiders were quickly made to pay for the spurned opportunity as Peterborough took the lead a minute later. Jack Marriott latched onto a cross from Marcus Maddison and sent a looping header over Lumley and into the net.

It was in the final third where things just weren’t clicking for Blackpool. A combination of too many touches and stray passes was proving the team’s downfall in good areas.

Marcus Maddison flashed an effort across the face of goal as Peterborough pushed for a second. Team-mate Jack Marriott was the closest to reaching it, but luckily for Blackpool the ball went out of play.

Due to several first-half injury stoppages, an additional four minutes were added at the end of the first 45 minutes. In the second of those, Blackpool equaliser. Viv Solomon-Otabor dribbled his way into space down the right and cut the ball back across the six-yard box, where Nathan Delfouneso bundled in.

Half-Time: Blackpool 1 Peterborough United 1

Blackpool started the second-half brightly and saw strikes from Kelvin Mellor and Armand Gnanduillet blocked off. Both chances were carved out by Solomon-Otabor, who had the upper hand on Posh right-back Liam Shephard.

At the other end, Marcus Maddison skipped past his man and sent a curler just past the far post.

A free-kick routine straight off the training ground almost resulted in the visitors retaking the lead, however Ollie Turton got across at the near post to block off the threat posed by Marriott.

Armand Gnanduillet had a great chance to give Blackpool the lead when he met a great cross from Solomon-Otabor but, unfortunately, he headed wide.

The game was fast becoming an end-to-end encounter, though both sides were finding clear cut opportunities hard to come by.

Peterborough introduced Omar Bogle for the final 12 minutes of the match as a replacement for Chris Forrester. The striker took up a deeper position behind Marriott.

Jimmy Ryan his luck from distance with a strike from 25-yards out, however his drive flew over the bar.

Armand Gnanduillet had a late chance to take the three points but he opted to try and pick out substitute Sessi D’Almeida rather than chip the onrushing ‘keeper.

Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Peterborough United 1

Advertisement block