Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Bury 1 Blackpool 1

Late Miller Goal Denies Pool All Three Points

3 February 2018

An 83rd minute strike from George Miller denied Blackpool all three points, as Bury fought back to draw 1-1 at Gigg Lane.

The on-loan Middlesbrough man, on off the bench, came to the rescue of the hosts to cancel out a stunning 20-yard strike from Sean Longstaff.

Curtis Tilt returned to the heart of defence after a two-match suspension for the match, while Callum Cooke, Viv Solomon-Otabor and Nathan Delfouneso were the other changes from the club’s last run out at AFC Wimbledon.

The Seasiders’ stuck to their usual game-plan, despite the wet conditions affecting the playing surface. Content to retain possession, Kyle Vassell and Viv Solomon-Otabor had the first attempts of the match inside 10 minutes.

Sean Longstaff, having scored so many goals from distance in the first few months of the season, saw a 30-yard drive turned away by Bury ‘keeper Connor Ripley.

Longstaff then turned provider with a fantastic ball across the six-yard box, though Nathan Delfouneso was an inch away from converting what would have been a simple tap-in.

Bury grew into the game as it progressed, however, and forced Joe Lumley into a save in the 40th minute. Zeli Ismail, back from a loan spell, cut inside and stung the palms of the ‘keeper.

At the other end, Nathan Delfouneso nodded wide from a Jay Spearing free-kick.

Half-Time: Bury 0 Blackpool 0

Blackpool, backed by a vociferous crowd of 963 fans, attacked towards the goal where the supporters were located in the second-half and took the lead in the 53rd minute.

A free-kick swung into the Bury box was headed out as far as Sean Longstaff, who volleyed the ball into the bottom corner from 20-yards out to put Pool ahead.

Danny Mayor aimed to reply immediately for the hosts, however his strike deflected wide for a corner that came to nothing.

Zeli Ismail then had another attempt for Bury, this time blasting wide from 30-yards.

The Seasiders made their first change in the 69th minute, with Armand Gnanduillet replacing Kyle Vassell. The striker departed the field having put another workmanlike performance in.

Curtis Tilt, in a constant battle with James Hanson all afternoon, continued to be a calm and assured presence at the back alongside Clark Robertson.

Joe Lumley made a vital save to preserve Blackpool’s lead with 14 minutes to go. The on-loan QPR ‘keeper pushed away a low drive from Harry Bunn at full stretch.

Shortly after, Blackpool made their second change of the game. Nathan Delfouneso was the man to depart for Colin Daniel.

It was a Bury substitute who was to have the biggest impact though, as George Miller levelled the scores in the 83rd minute. The striker made the most of some hesitancy at the back to slot past Lumley.

Cooke and Longstaff both fired over as Blackpool tried to re-take the lead, while Colin Daniel went close with a drive from 25-yards out.

Full-Time: Bury 1 Blackpool 1



Advertisement block