Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team Fall To Defeat At Home To Shrewsbury

Under-18s Lose 3-1 At Myerscough

14 February 2018

After a win against Walsall on Saturday, Blackpool succumbed to defeat against Shrewsbury on Tuesday lunchtime.

The first real action of the game saw the referee immediately book Shrewsbury left back Rhys Davies. The defender had flown into a late challenge on Nana Adarkwa, resulting in a yellow card.

Just a minute later, the visitors were in front. Tyrone Ofori got the goal, after a scramble in the Blackpool penalty area.

Sean Graham then stopped the hosts from going two goals down inside the opening ten minutes. He was on hand to head the ball off the line from a Rhys Davies header from a corner.

Blackpool’s first chance came halfway through the first period of play, when Emil Jaaskelainen slid in Fin Sinclair-Smith, but the midfielder’s shot was well saved by Jack Atkinson in the Shrewsbury goal.

The visitors then got their second yellow of the game, as Aaron Gilpin was cautioned by the referee. He committed a cynical foul on Will Dunne as Blackpool looked to counter.

Minutes later, Dylan Sumner became the first Seasiders’ player to go into the referee’s book. He committed a late challenge to stop a Shrews attack.

After Rhys Davies missed another golden chance at the back post from a corner, Shrewsbury did double their lead. Tyrone Ofori got his second of the game with a near post header from another corner kick.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Shrewsbury Town 2

Five minutes into the second-half, and Blackpool had a goal back. Will Dunne slid Fin Sinclair-Smith in down the right, who pulled it back to Dunne. The striker took a touch to get the ball on to his favoured left foot, before slotting the ball into the far corner to make it 2-1.

Tyrone Ofori then had two good chances to bag his hat-trick. The first was saved well by Harvey Simson, before he blazed the second one over the bar from ten yards out.

Ryan Barnett, Shrewsbury’s captain, then missed another good chance to restore the visitors two-goal lead just after the hour mark.

Owen Watkinson and Dec Preyzner came on for Emil Jaaskelainen and Sean Graham, with Preyzner making his first appearance for the Under-18s.

His first action of the game was to block a goal bound shot. He got back into his own penalty area to get a foot in front of Aaron Gilpin’s effort to keep the scores at 2-1.

However, seven minutes from time, The Shrews did get that third goal. Rory Huntbach, who was up from the back for a corner, headed home at the far post to seal the victory.

Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Shrewsbury Town 3

Advertisement block