Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team In Last-Gasp Victory

Dunne Scores Spectacular Strike In Added Time

11 February 2018

Will Dunne’s stoppage time strike broke the deadlock against Walsall to give the youth team all three points.

The first half started with Walsall in the ascendancy, as both sides got used to the run and bounce of the 3G surface they were playing on.

Daniel O’Sullivan, Owen Nolan and Ethan Freemantle all had efforts that were either blocked, or went wide of the goal frame, in the opening ten minutes.

Blackpool then started to get into the game, and countered from a Walsall free- kick. Fin Sinclair-Smith carried the ball forward, before finding Rowan Roache with a searching ball forward. However, the attacker’s first time effort went over the crossbar.

The visitors then put the ball in the back of the net, as Ethan Freemantle tapped it home, but the striker was judged to be offside by the assistant referee.

Blackpool had their best chance of the first-half on the half-hour mark, as Nana Adarkwa clipped a ball into the box, with Dylan Sumner heading just wide of the Walsall net.

Walsall then had three good chances before the break. Firstly, Ethan Freemantle saw his glancing header go just past the far post, before the visitors saw the ball hit the post for a corner a few minutes later.

They then forced Craig Thordarson into a wonderful save down to his right, as Dylan Parker looked to open the scoring with a fearsome shot from close range.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Walsall 0

Both teams had early second-half chances. with Ethan Freemantle again causing problems for the Blackpool defence. He forced Thordarson into another smart save.

At the other end, the hosts came close to scoring through Nathan Shaw. The ball came across the box to the left winger, and his effort rattled into the side netting.

Both sides then made changes halfway through the second period of play, as they looked for the goal to give them the lead.

Blackpool then had the better of the latter stages, with Emil Jaaskelainen, off the bench, finding Dylan Sumner, who volleyed wide from the edge of the area.

Sean Graham then received a yellow card from the referee for a cynical foul as Walsall looked to counter. It caused a slight delay in the game, as a few of the Walsall players got heated about the challenge.

Brendon Ganley was then called into play for the first time in the match right on the 90 minute mark, as he had to save from Emil Jaaskelainen’s header at the back post from a corner.

Then, just a minute later, Will Dunne gave Blackpool all three points with a wonderful goal. Emil Jaaskelainen flicked the ball on to the striker, who proceeded to set himself up for an overhead kick, with the ball ricocheting off the post and into the Walsall goal.

There was not enough time for the visitors to have another chance in the remaining moments of the game, as Blackpool took the victory.

Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Walsall 0

Team: Thordarson; Williams, Avon, Graham; Adarkwa, Sumner, Wainwright (Maddox 65), Shaw; Roache; Sinclair-Smith (Jaaskelainen 65), Watkinson (Dunne 65)

Unused: Simson, Newton

Advertisement block