Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool Exit Checkatrade Trophy On Penalties

Shrewsbury Progress To Quarter-Finals

10 January 2018

Blackpool’s run in the Checkatrade Trophy came to an end this evening, as Shrewsbury Town progressed to the quarter-finals on penalties.

After the match had finished 0-0 after 90 minutes, it was left to John Lenell-Lewis to score the decisive spot-kick and win the shoot-out 4-2.

Manager Gary Bowyer made eight changes to his side for the game and handed debuts to QPR loan ‘keeper Joe Lumley and striker Raul Correia. The latter, who joined Blackpool 12 months ago, had recently returned from a loan spell with Guiseley.

Scott Quigley, who was born in Shrewsbury, had a great chance to open the scoring after just six minutes. The forward was left unmarked to receive a cross from Jimmy Ryan at the back post, however his first effort was saved by Dean Henderson and his follow-up blocked by the scrambling defence. Raul Correia then blazed over the bar in the aftermath.

New arrival Joe Lumley was then forced into an early save at the other end, getting down low to deny Stefan Payne.

It was proving to be quite an open first 15 minutes, with Sessi D’Almeida the next player to see a shot saved. The midfielder drilled an effort straight at Henderson that the on-loan Manchester United man pushed away.

His counterpart Lumley wasn’t to be outdone in the save making though, as he quickly closed the space down on Payne to block off the striker’s shot at goal.

Shrewsbury did have the ball in the back of the net in the 27th minute but the referee spotted a push from the free-kick and was quick to blow for a foul.

Moments later Lumley was off his line again to deny Payne, with Lenell John-Lewis then striking the bar with a header from close range.

Half-Time: Shrewsbury Town 0 Blackpool 0

Raul Correia came close to breaking the deadlock minutes after the restart, with his 22-yard strike on the half-volley expertly saved by Henderson.

The Shrewsbury stopper later got caught up in a defensive mix-up and was outside of his area when conceding possession to Scott Quigley. Unfortunately for The Seasiders, the striker was unable to knock the ball past the ‘keeper and instead committed a foul.

The 59th minute proved to be a key one for Jim McAlister, who marked his return from a fractured tibia with his first appearance in 11 months. The midfielder replaced Sessi D’Almeida.

McAlister quickly threw himself into a tackle and settled into the pace of the game well.

In an attempt to find a winner, manager Gary Bowyer introduced Nathan Delfouneso and Rowan Roache in the 75th minute. The pair replaced Scott Quigley and Raul Correia.

Chances were becoming few and far between though, with a penalty shoot-out looming if neither side was able to find a winner.

Nick Anderton had a good opportunity to do so in the 91st minute, however his strike deflected wide, leaving the tie to be settled on penalties.

Full-Time: Shrewsbury Town 0 Blackpool 0 (Shrewsbury win 4-2 on penalties)

Advertisement block